🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam pretending to be company
Page options
1a4d21a0
Community Member

Scam pretending to be company

This is a scam, there is a customer service job that seems legit, when they contact you, you make an appointment for an interview through Skype but it’s chat the whole time, you never see anyone’s face. They have you go through hours long interview process because they are so slow getting back to you and at the end they will tell you they need to send you a check for you to purchase software. I called the lady out that it was a scam and she got offline and blocked me.

**Edited for community guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Carrie:
The good news is that next time, you won't fall for this.

You now know that it is a violation of Upwork ToS to communicate with prospective clients via Skype (or non-Upwork methods) before an official contract is in place.

Had you understood that before, you would not have wasted your time with those people.

Also, keep in mind that the company name the scammers feed you are just names of real companies they copy off the Internet. You are not allowed to state those company names here in the Forum. Those real companies are innocent of wrongdoing.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members