🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam via Upwork
Page options
drholtcopywriter
Community Member

Scam via Upwork

I was offered a job via Upwork by an approved payer.  I was offered the job, then they advised me they were taking the job off Upwork and would pay me outside the system working via Upwork sometimes.  They then advised that due to the long weekend I needed to pay 5000 for a computer so I could start work this week.  Thinking I had a real gig I did it.  NOT.  They scammed me, came back and asked for more money and now I can no longer reach them on UPwork or via google email.  It was **Edited for community guidelines** .  I called **Edited for community guidelines** and they said someone was using their employees names to scam people about online jobs. 

I am done with Upwork as they advertised on your site.

3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

This is the oldest scam in the books, going back years and years.  Please don't blame Upwork because you did not learn enough about the platform and about freelancing in general to protect yourself.

petra_r
Community Member

Denise H wrote:

I was offered a job via Upwork by an approved payer.  I was offered the job, then they advised me they were taking the job off Upwork and would pay me outside the system working via Upwork sometimes. 

So you were happy to scam Upwork but then not happy when the tables turned?

Denise H wrote:

I can no longer reach them on UPwork or via google email.  It was xxxxx.bxxxxr1 @google .com.

And you thought someone from B***r would email you from a @google email address?

Of course you can no longer reach them.

I am done with Upwork

Sounds like a good idea, at least until you have learned how to use the Internet safely.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denise,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths