cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

Sascha W Member Since: Jun 5, 2014
1 of 5
I am still hoping to catch my first job and was recently sought out by a Client requesting " QUALITY CANDIDATES NEEDED IN CANADA." Asked me to create a yahoo account and complete an interview online. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
2 of 5
A word of advice. Drop the client immediately, if you are asked to work / received payments (or any financial documents / invoices) outside of oDesk. The situation you're describing looks very much like widespread scam. You probably know the recommendations, but I'll repeat just in case: do not start working without active oDesk contract, process all payments via oDesk only.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 5
You often hear it from seasoned users on here that, while not necessarily always the case, the words "Yahoo messenger" should usually ring alarm bells...
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 5
Hi Sascha, I replied to an invitation from a client a while back. They asked for the interview to take place via Yahoo Messenger. I was curious to know whether it was legit, so I attended the interview. It was a red flag to me anyway, but I was curious. It turned out that they were scamming people and the job was flagged. I received another similar invitation recently too. Other red flags: offering an outrageous rate. I'm not saying that clients won't ever use Yahoo Messenger to interview, but 95% of my clients request an interview via Skype. You have to be cautious.
Sascha W Member Since: Jun 5, 2014
5 of 5
Thanks for the information everyone, I had a weird feeling about the situation so i'm happy I disregarded the interview.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS