🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam?
Page options
destinyvenable
Community Member

Scam?

What does it mean if someone is trying to correspond through email and not on Upwork? Initially, they invited me to work without me applying first. I'm new and didn't quite know how it works so I said I'd like to work. All this up unitl now was through Upwork messaging. But then, they emailed me personally and said they wanted to start communicating over email, but I would get paid through Upwork. They also asked if I've spent at least $50 on Amazon??? I'm not going to go through with this gig but I want to know if other people have also experienced this.

11 REPLIES 11
m_sharman
Community Member

While it is common to communicate with clients via email or other communication channels, your contract and payment should be via Upwork.

As you are new, it's very likely this is a scam. Have they sent you an actual "offer" via Upwork? If they have, you can accept or decline, and work based on that criteria. I suspect if you ask them for an offer they will cease communication with you and go onto the next. 

Okay, thank you. I just wasn’t sure because I remember reading we should
keep communication to Upwork. They did send me an official offer through
Upwork with an amount they’d pay me. However, I’m still confused as to why
they want to know how much I’ve spent on Amazon?

What is the job? 

It just says they want interest or knowledge in the French or Spanish
culture and they want me to listen to an audiobook.

Destiny V wrote:
However, I’m still confused as to why
they want to know how much I’ve spent on Amazon?

Because there is a minimum you have to have spent before you can review items.

It can cost you your Amazon account and Amazon have already sued over 1000 freelancers.

cupidmedia
Community Member

Sounds like a scam in this particular case. You shouldn't do any work until you have an actual contract on Upwork.

In general email communication is fine. As a client I do most of my communicating with my freelancers via email. But I establish the relationship and set up the contract and get started working through Upwork first.

petra_r
Community Member

Destiny V wrote:

But then, they emailed me personally and said they wanted to start communicating over email, but I would get paid through Upwork. They also asked if I've spent at least $50 on Amazon??? I'm not going to go through with this gig but I want to know if other people have also experienced this.

They want you to write reviews and paid reviews on Amazon are strictly forbidden (unless they are for free (!) ebooks and marked as paid) - Because jobs that violate another site's terms are forbidden on Upwork, this is not allowed.

Nothing at all wrong with communicating by email or sype or whatever, as such, as long as hiring and payment is via Upwork, but Amazon review jobs are not allowed.

Petra R wrote:

Destiny V wrote:

But then, they emailed me personally and said they wanted to start communicating over email, but I would get paid through Upwork. They also asked if I've spent at least $50 on Amazon??? I'm not going to go through with this gig but I want to know if other people have also experienced this.

They want you to write reviews and paid reviews on Amazon are strictly forbidden (unless they are for free (!) ebooks and marked as paid) - Because jobs that violate another site's terms are forbidden on Upwork, this is not allowed.

Nothing at all wrong with communicating by email or sype or whatever, as such, as long as hiring and payment is via Upwork, but Amazon review jobs are not allowed.

Yes, this! 

Report the client/job. 

Nothing wrong at all as long as Upwork can rob you off 20% of the original amount and $2 for Paypal transactions + Paypal might charge you with transaction fee. On a total if you get $50, your account will be credited with $37. This is atrocious and someday Upwork will answer for this.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Destiny, 

I would recommend that you follow the Community's advice and flag the job post as inappropriate, if you haven't already. The team will receive this in their queue and will review it against the Upwork Terms of Service. 

In the meantime, I highly suggest that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members