🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammed for connects
Page options
avigranite
Community Member

Scammed for connects

I applied to two jobs this morning that invited me to interview outside of upwork. One via skype the other via telegram. I think they are both scams. Can I be refunded for the connects that I spent applying to these jobs?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Avi:

The answer is yes.

If you apply to a job, and that isn't a real job but it's a scam, then you CAN use the "Flag as inappropriate" option on the job posting page to report it.

And Upwork WILL investigate and REMOVE that job posting, and you will AUTOMATICALLY receive your connects back.

Even if SOMEONE ELSE reports the job, then you will receive your connects back.

My standard advice is this:

If the client asks you to interview outside of Upwork, such as through Skype or Telegram, then GIVE THEM THE CHANCE to do the right thing. Tell them that off-platform interviews are against Upwork ToS, but that they can talk to you using the Upwork messages tool OR they can hire you immediately and begin your work conversations using those tools.

Give them that choice. Don't assume they are a scammer.

Then:
If they interview you and hire you on Upwork, that's great! You are earning money.

If they do NOT interview you and hire you officially on Upwork, you should report them. By reporting them as a scammer, you will help the community by getting rid of a scammer, and you will receive your connects back.

I personally have had many clients invite me to discuss jobs using Skype or off-site Zoom or other off-platform tools, and when I told them that's against the rules, they have hired me immediately and begun paying me to talk about the project using offsite tools.

Now, that's probably a lot more likely to happen to me than a newcomer. But that is my real experience. So I don't advise everybody to automatically assume that a client mentioning an offsite communication tool is a scammer. Most are. But not all.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Avi:

The answer is yes.

If you apply to a job, and that isn't a real job but it's a scam, then you CAN use the "Flag as inappropriate" option on the job posting page to report it.

And Upwork WILL investigate and REMOVE that job posting, and you will AUTOMATICALLY receive your connects back.

Even if SOMEONE ELSE reports the job, then you will receive your connects back.

My standard advice is this:

If the client asks you to interview outside of Upwork, such as through Skype or Telegram, then GIVE THEM THE CHANCE to do the right thing. Tell them that off-platform interviews are against Upwork ToS, but that they can talk to you using the Upwork messages tool OR they can hire you immediately and begin your work conversations using those tools.

Give them that choice. Don't assume they are a scammer.

Then:
If they interview you and hire you on Upwork, that's great! You are earning money.

If they do NOT interview you and hire you officially on Upwork, you should report them. By reporting them as a scammer, you will help the community by getting rid of a scammer, and you will receive your connects back.

I personally have had many clients invite me to discuss jobs using Skype or off-site Zoom or other off-platform tools, and when I told them that's against the rules, they have hired me immediately and begun paying me to talk about the project using offsite tools.

Now, that's probably a lot more likely to happen to me than a newcomer. But that is my real experience. So I don't advise everybody to automatically assume that a client mentioning an offsite communication tool is a scammer. Most are. But not all.

Thanks for the guidance!

Very useful advice.Thank you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members