cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed

aliciawilliams28
Alicia W Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
1 of 10

For the folks who were scammed, what was the final outcome? I too fell victim today and I absolutely should have known better. Did the Hangouts interview and gave out my personal info including the name of my bank. Was there any activity to your bank accounts? Did your e-mail, phone or computer get hacked? I'm so concerned right now. I think I'm closing my Upwork account after today. I saw that they do not vet the potential "employers". 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10

Don't close your Upwork account, learn how to use it safely, profitably and within the framework of the rules.

Much better idea.

As long as you don't take the check they send you (which is of course fake) to your bank you should be fine.

aliciawilliams28
3 of 10

OK. Thanks for responding. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 10
@Alicia W wrote:

For the folks who were scammed, what was the final outcome? I too fell victim today and I absolutely should have known better. Did the Hangouts interview and gave out my personal info including the name of my bank. Was there any activity to your bank accounts? Did your e-mail, phone or computer get hacked? I'm so concerned right now. I think I'm closing my Upwork account after today. I saw that they do not vet the potential "employers". 

That's unfortunate. If you do a forum search you'll find others who have gone through this.

It is suggested that new people read up on all the information Upwork offers concerning scams and how to avoid them. But most people just jump right in and don't bother. Thousands of us work safely on this site and have never been scammed. Upwork is not going to make it harder for clients to post jobs, and we as freelancers don't want them to. And by the way, they are clients, not employers.

I've worked online for almost seven years and have never been scammed. In fact I work with some really great clients. And by the way, scammers are everywhere and not just on Upwork.

Getting Started: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Questionable Jobs: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

aliciawilliams28
5 of 10

Thanks for responding. I appeciate the feedback.

aliciawilliams28
6 of 10

Thanks for your response. I have learned my lesson. I will be more careful in the future and will consider keeping my account open for now.

raina5
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
7 of 10

I can't fathom any scenario where I would give a client my bank info? First of all, if you are working through this platform, you have to be paid THROUGH this platform. Secondly, for the clients I have off of Upwork, I get paid through Paypal, I would never share personal financial info. I do almost always share my personal email and phone# with clients after we have worked together a little bit as a backup if the site gets wonky.I have this info on my online portfolio, so it's out there" anyway, and I've never had a problem with that.  I really hope it works out and you don't have any adverse effects from this.

aliciawilliams28
8 of 10

Thanks for the response. I gave the name of my bank only. No specific account information. The other info I gave is already on my resume (email, etc.)

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
9 of 10

Hi Alicia,

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, but I wanted to let you know that I've sent the information about this client to the appropriate team to review and they will take action on violations of our ToS. Please also check out the information that Virginia shared which will be helpful in getting acquainted with the Upwork platform.

~Nina
aliciawilliams28
10 of 10

Thank you. I should have done this before but I will do it now. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS