Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer ALERT!!!! HR Guy's name is ***

Highlighted
Elvie T Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
1 of 8

Hello there Freelancers,

This is warning post for everybody who are job seekers like me. There is a scammer on the loose and Upwork should investigate this person. He created an account recently (3days ago) and luring people to be interviewed. I am pretty amazed by his "monotone" style of the interview via Chat. I initially thought that the interview will be done via Video chat but he decided to do it via Chat. Very suspicious because the rate is higher than what I expected. WARNING WARNING WARNING! Sounds too good to be true. Also, the payment for your training is via CHECK and direct deposit, smells something fishy in here. I screenshot our conversation, the "HR GUY" is asking for too many requirements then, later on, asking for $750.00 so they can forward the "TRAINING MATERIALS" to me. Okay, I slammed this SCAMMER and never responded again. This post should be a WARNING to all of us. Do not Trust "HR or any person who is asking for too many requirements to do the job (computer, software etc) and, of course, ASKING MONEY.

How can we report this one? This is how his ads looked like:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

**YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED******

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Thanks for sharing your  experience. But please be aware that you need to edit your post (no personal data should be visible). FLAG a job posting if you think there is something wrong instead! Smiley Wink

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 8

Hi Elvie,

Thank you for being on the lookout. Please, report the job by flagging it or by sending a ticket directly to the Customer Support.  

~ Valeria
Untitled
Elvie T Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
4 of 8

Done sending a report to Upwork customer service and I also flagged his 2 ads as well. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 8

Thank you Elvie!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 8

Here we go again - and again - and again - and again.

Surely the Upwork algorithm can recognize this sort of post by now? - the MO and  wording is almost identical - even if the scammers are not.

Woodley B Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
7 of 8

Greetings.

I've used UPWORK (aka UPDESK) for past year with very good results.  

However, last week, I hired a contractor for a small hourly programming job.  As it turns out, this contractor was a fraud and had a fake profile.  He was not working from the city he indicated (verified by IP address) and has a good "trick" to STALL and EAT UP the hourly charges for the week.  His 10 minute "screen shots" show the same program ... just sitting there... without any progress.   But.. the UPWORK "clock" was ticking and I was getting charged for the time.

This is a fundamental flaw with the UPWORK virtual worker model.  UPWORK boasts millions of members.  I trust they are profitable and can invest into protecting the CLIENTS who bring in the REVENUE for projects.

I will let this one go .. and eat the cost paid for nothing.

I suppose I have also learned NOT to TRUST anyone on UPWORK.

Please be careful !!!

Best of luck,

//W

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 8

I'm sorry you had such a bad deal - but this thread is about a serious scam that could put the identity of hundreds of people at risk.  

Freelancers risk having their bank accounts corrupted or closed. For some people this could be catastrophic. Identity theft is a serious crime.

So rather than derail a thread  - why not start a new one with your particular concern.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS