🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammer alert!
Page options
kristawenz
Community Member

Scammer alert!

Hi everyone! I am new to Upwork, I've been here a little over 2 months. I wanted to warn everyone of a scam that I encountered today. I sent a proposal for a proofreader and content editor position and received a message back inviting me to an online interview. I am attaching the screenshot of the job posting which shows they are interviewing multiple people, which I am hoping to reach some of you before you encounter what I did. Long story short, after the interview they offered me the job and said they were going to send me a laptop to use solely for their project. But, I would have to pay for it from their local vendor and then their company would reimburse me after they sent it to me. Also, they could not provide an answer to what the job entailed when asked multiple times, and they wanted to pay outside of Upwork. I reported them to Upwork and wanted other freelancers to be aware.

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Krista,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I'll find the job you're referring to and have the team review it and take necessary action. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and do use the flag option found on each job post anytime you suspect.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members