🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammer job posting
Page options
8dd087fb
Community Member

Scammer job posting

Upon joining Upwork, I discovered new methods of committing fraud and how some individuals successfully deceive newcomers.

A significant portion of the job postings on Upwork are bogus. After nearly three months, I have learned to differentiate between real and fake jobs.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when applying for jobs:

1. Always verify the payment method before submitting an application.

2. Check the join date of the job poster. Usually, fake job owners create their ID just a day or two before posting a job.

3. Fake job posters often lack a clear understanding of what they are looking for.

4. Data entry jobs are typically fraudulent and aimed at new freelancers.

5. If a job posting requests that you contact the employer outside of the Upwork platform, for example, through Telegram, WhatsApp, or email, it is likely fake.

These are some things that I have learned through my experiences. One assignment that paid $90 led me to realize that I had to be cautious. Another job I worked on paid me through a web portal, but when I tried to withdraw my earnings, I was asked to pay $320. They claimed their partner company would process my withdrawal, but I refused to pay and told them that I had earned money by working, not by sending money to them. After that, the person I was communicating with stopped responding.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

1 REPLY 1
the-right-writer
Community Member

"Always verify the payment method before submitting an application."

I'm wondering if you meant before the job begins? There is nothing wrong with jobs that do not verify payment in the job ad. The job should be funded before the contract is in place. The problem is that freelancers look for verified payment, believing it means a guarantee of getting paid. It most definitely does not. It is not a guarantee of anything. Telling people it means the job is safe or that you will get paid is inaccurate.

"Check the join date of the job poster. Usually, fake job owners create their ID just a day or two before posting a job."

This idea rules out many clients. Yes, it's great if you find a long-term client with lots of great reviews. The reality is there are a limited number of those clients. New clients are not bad.

"Fake job posters often lack a clear understanding of what they are looking for."

Many clients are unsure of what they are looking for or what they need.

The best way to check out the client is it to look at the complete picture and not focus on particular items. I always insist on a chat before I accept a contract. During that chat, I find out everything about the job, the clients' requirements, and if we are a good fit. When you talk to someone, you get a much better of idea of the legitimacy of the job. There have been a couple of times I insisted on a video chat because I was suspicious. Never underestimate gut feelings. If the job seems too good to be true, it is. If you have any hesitation, stop immediately, and proceed with extreme caution.

Vetting clients is a mandatory practice for every freelancer who doesn't want to be scammed. Clients are like people you find in a random chat room. The chatter/client could be telling the truth and are wonderful people. On the other hand, they might be there simply to take advantage and harm others. Remember, Upwork does nothing to investigate clients, including verifying the email. It's up to every freelancer to protect themselves. Vetting clients is every freelancer's responsibility.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members