cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Highlighted
Meral D Member Since: Jan 7, 2017
1 of 145

I just signed up on Upwork, answered 2 ads, and received this response from the first ad I responded to.  Did some research because it had red flags, and found that yes, this type of response is a typical scammer response, phishing for info. This doesn't give me much faith in Upwork.  

Does upwork have any protocols for vetting their job posters??

This was the response:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 145

re: "Does upwork have any protocols for vetting their job posters?"

No.

There is no vetting of job posters.

As a freelancer, you need to be aware of what constitutes a legitimate job. With a little experience and reading, it is very easy.

Ace Contributor
Charles W Member Since: Dec 30, 2016
3 of 145

Why doesn't UW vet the job postings?  They OWN this site.  Freelancers don't.  

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
4 of 145

Hi Charles,

We definitely understand your frustration. Upwork has over 17 million registered users and thousands of projects are posted daily on our platform. As such, despite the many tools we have in place to detect issues like the ones presented in this thread, they do still occur from time to time. In addition, unfortunately, even if we take action on an account, the individuals involved may open a new account to circumvent our efforts. We do remove all the posts that violate our ToS as soon as we become aware of them. Even with precautions and taking actions against violations, we cannot guarantee that third-parties will not find ways to circumvent these measures but we will continue to use our best efforts to keep our marketplace safe.

~Nina
Vinod P Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
5 of 145

Looks Like upwork need to do Lot on Protecting its users from getting Frauded. 

1) They should enhance their security by adding 2 step authentication 

2) They need to add background check, without that it would be hard to feel how the safe the site would be not knowing who is accessing the information.

3) they need to protect job seekers financial information

4)  communication with client and Provider needs to be secure 

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
6 of 145

Hi Vinod,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue, and we definitely understand your point. I will share your feedback to the team. In the meantime, please check this help article that details how you can report suspicious activities

-Joanne
Untitled
B H Member Since: Jul 11, 2019
7 of 145

how can upwork understand anyones frustration?
uowork makes money from both sides, upwork didnt lose any money due toi the fraudulence of freelancers .

Jennifer W Member Since: Jan 7, 2017
8 of 145

Thanks Meral,

I just recieved the same thing and was about to do an online interview but see this was a scam. Thanks for your help.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 145

They like weekends a lot.

Diana M Member Since: Jan 20, 2018
10 of 145

Hey Jennifer -- You seem like you know what you're doing on these forums so I figured I'd reach out to you. My head writer, **Edited for Community Guidelines**  was just scammed -- big time. He was communicating with a company he suspected to be fraudulent and when he asked questions about his suspicions, they sent him a link to a site that explained their issues with Upwork, then immediately after clicking, he was logged out of his account and is unable to log back in. He has money, clients and bank information attached to that account. Please send help ASAP. 

Thank-you, 

Diana

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS