Did you mean: 

Re: Scammers on Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
51 of 145

@Kevin D wrote:

Oh god. Glad that wasn't me! 

Yeah, buddy! You ain't kidding! I think that's the best we've seen so far. There are some out $5k here and there but $20k is the record I think.

Highlighted
Amanda P Member Since: Jan 6, 2019
52 of 145
Not sure why you are laughing out loud about that.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
53 of 145

Thanks for flagging the posting, Kevin. I checked and it looks like it's already been removed by Upwork team as inappropriate.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jennifer N Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
54 of 145

i know i was just doing an interview with scammers..... they sent me an invite and i accepted then they told me to go to google hangout..... then after like 2 hours talking i was going to be hired.  and then he says hes going to send me paymenty..... the last thing i said was that "this just seems a little off" and they stopped talking to me

Highlighted
55 of 145

Jennifer,

If you get a chance, could you please click on my name and send me a private message with a screenshot of you communication with the client outside of Upwork?

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jordan S Member Since: Nov 9, 2017
56 of 145

I feel as though I may  be in the midst of a scam. I was asked to take a check to the bank after talking on here, emailing then going to google hangouts to talk. After I got the check he asked me to take it to the bank (immediately) to withdraw funds for a western union transfer. Something seems off but at the same time its not the same as these other stories. What should I do here?

Highlighted
57 of 145

Hi Jordan,

Do not accept any payments from Upwork clients outside of the platform and do not deposit the check. It's a violation of Upwork ToS and a sign of a scam.

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Mary Daniela T Member Since: Jan 9, 2018
58 of 145
Hey! Same thing happened to me. Now I’m getting messages with threats. And I haven’t responded to any of their messages
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
59 of 145

Hi Mary Daniela, 

It's good to know that you haven't responded to any of their messages. I would suggest that you block off their email address from your email. I would also suggest that you read up on the links that Nina has provided on her post to help you work safely on Upwork. 

-Avery
Untitled
Amanda P Member Since: Jan 6, 2019
60 of 145
Don't do it! It will bounce and in turn deduct from your account to cover it. I repeat, don't do it
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS