cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Rogine T Member Since: Jul 11, 2017
31 of 145

How do I report a scam? I think one I'm getting scammed. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
32 of 145

@Rogine T wrote:

How do I report a scam? I think one I'm getting scammed. 

Can you tell us more without actually quoting or giving the link to the job.

If you have been asked to pay work or  to buy software (or similar), if you have been asked to cash a dummy check, if you have been asked to act as a forwarding address, if you have been asked to interview on Google hangouts, if you have been asked to accept payment away from Upwork, then you are in danger of being scammed, or have been scammed if you have agreed to any of these.

Lisa S Member Since: Jul 21, 2017
33 of 145

Thank you for those tips! I received an offer for $50/hr and I knew it was too good to be true. I had a feeling that this is a scam.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
34 of 145

Hi Lisa, 

If you haven't already, please report this client by flagging his job post as inappropriate so that our team can take action against his account. 

-Avery
Untitled
Johnnaliza L Member Since: Nov 1, 2017
35 of 145

I was asked to send money for the payment of so called "PERMIT"....

Levi E A Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
36 of 145

Me as well! Had a message from a "Kate Allen", job linked me to Google Hangouts with "Scott Zimmerman" from Phoenix Group in Germany....started to get a little leary then, but everything kinda seemed on par with what I was expecting here. I had a full interview with him where we went back and forth over terms and duties. They took my address, name, and age. Asked what bank I had and then I felt it was too good to be true but he didn't ask for anything else. They offered me the position and sent an employment letter with IMO a terrible header and watermark matching the Company I am being "hired" for. It's amazing how in depth this is. They also said that I would be receiving a check for accounting software. Things got kinda weird when I also received an email form UpWork that the post was deleted and that's all I needed. I plan on not following through on this now thanks!

Mary Daniela T Member Since: Jan 9, 2018
37 of 145
have you recieved any other emails? Or did it stop there?
Sarah K C Member Since: Feb 13, 2018
38 of 145

I'm so glad I looked into this further on Upwork becasue the same thing just happened to me. I tried searching for**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Google and everything, nothing came up. The only personal info I gave was my cell number, because I was skeptical from the start. Thank you for sharing!

Jacqueline J Member Since: May 10, 2018
39 of 145

I got an invitation from that scammer as well. The initial job posting and message was very well written and looked legit at first glance. I did a little extra research and found that they swiped the job description from a major health start-up company.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
40 of 145

@Jacqueline J wrote:

I got an invitation from that scammer as well.

There are thousands of people who try this scam, it is one of the oldest and dumbest on the Internet. It is and has been all over the Internet for forever. It's been doing the rounds over and over again for well over a decade.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS