cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Highlighted
Johnnaliza L Member Since: Nov 1, 2017
41 of 145

I was asked to send money for the payment of so called "PERMIT"....

Highlighted
Levi E A Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
42 of 145

Me as well! Had a message from a "Kate Allen", job linked me to Google Hangouts with "Scott Zimmerman" from Phoenix Group in Germany....started to get a little leary then, but everything kinda seemed on par with what I was expecting here. I had a full interview with him where we went back and forth over terms and duties. They took my address, name, and age. Asked what bank I had and then I felt it was too good to be true but he didn't ask for anything else. They offered me the position and sent an employment letter with IMO a terrible header and watermark matching the Company I am being "hired" for. It's amazing how in depth this is. They also said that I would be receiving a check for accounting software. Things got kinda weird when I also received an email form UpWork that the post was deleted and that's all I needed. I plan on not following through on this now thanks!

Highlighted
Mary Daniela T Member Since: Jan 9, 2018
43 of 145
have you recieved any other emails? Or did it stop there?
Highlighted
Sarah K C Member Since: Feb 13, 2018
44 of 145

I'm so glad I looked into this further on Upwork becasue the same thing just happened to me. I tried searching for**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Google and everything, nothing came up. The only personal info I gave was my cell number, because I was skeptical from the start. Thank you for sharing!

Highlighted
Jacqueline J Member Since: May 10, 2018
45 of 145

I got an invitation from that scammer as well. The initial job posting and message was very well written and looked legit at first glance. I did a little extra research and found that they swiped the job description from a major health start-up company.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
46 of 145

@Jacqueline J wrote:

I got an invitation from that scammer as well.

There are thousands of people who try this scam, it is one of the oldest and dumbest on the Internet. It is and has been all over the Internet for forever. It's been doing the rounds over and over again for well over a decade.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
47 of 145

Hi Rogine,

You can go to View Job Posting and flag it as inappropriate. The team will review it as soon as possible. You can also, click on my name next to this post and send me a private message with the link to the post and I'll follow up.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Kevin D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
48 of 145

Hi Valerie, 

I too have been the victim of a scam. I was asked to join Google Hangouts for a job and give personal information. I only gave my cell phone number and email, but nothing else. They wanted me to respond ASAP. I flagged the post. Everyone on Upwork should be very cautious about scammers. Never join Hangouts or give personal information until you can verify the company. 

Good luck! Stay safe!

Kevin 

P.s I've attached a screengrab of the email. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
49 of 145

@Kevin D wrote:

Hi Valerie, 

I too have been the victim of a scam. I was asked to join Google Hangouts for a job and give personal information. I only gave my cell phone number and email, but nothing else. They wanted me to respond ASAP. I flagged the post. Everyone on Upwork should be very cautious about scammers. Never join Hangouts or give personal information until you can verify the company. 

Good luck! Stay safe!

Kevin 

P.s I've attached a screengrab of the email. 

You're not really a victim. You went to Hangouts, figure out it was a scam and backed out. That's not a victim. A victim is the dummies that give them money. They are all over the forum. Some chick in one of these gajillion "scam" threads is out $20k LOL. 

Highlighted
Kevin D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
50 of 145

Oh god. Glad that wasn't me! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS