cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
41 of 145

Hi Rogine,

You can go to View Job Posting and flag it as inappropriate. The team will review it as soon as possible. You can also, click on my name next to this post and send me a private message with the link to the post and I'll follow up.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kevin D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
42 of 145

Hi Valerie, 

I too have been the victim of a scam. I was asked to join Google Hangouts for a job and give personal information. I only gave my cell phone number and email, but nothing else. They wanted me to respond ASAP. I flagged the post. Everyone on Upwork should be very cautious about scammers. Never join Hangouts or give personal information until you can verify the company. 

Good luck! Stay safe!

Kevin 

P.s I've attached a screengrab of the email. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
43 of 145

@Kevin D wrote:

Hi Valerie, 

I too have been the victim of a scam. I was asked to join Google Hangouts for a job and give personal information. I only gave my cell phone number and email, but nothing else. They wanted me to respond ASAP. I flagged the post. Everyone on Upwork should be very cautious about scammers. Never join Hangouts or give personal information until you can verify the company. 

Good luck! Stay safe!

Kevin 

P.s I've attached a screengrab of the email. 

You're not really a victim. You went to Hangouts, figure out it was a scam and backed out. That's not a victim. A victim is the dummies that give them money. They are all over the forum. Some chick in one of these gajillion "scam" threads is out $20k LOL. 

Kevin D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
44 of 145

Oh god. Glad that wasn't me! 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
45 of 145

@Kevin D wrote:

Oh god. Glad that wasn't me! 

Yeah, buddy! You ain't kidding! I think that's the best we've seen so far. There are some out $5k here and there but $20k is the record I think.

Amanda P Member Since: Jan 6, 2019
46 of 145
Not sure why you are laughing out loud about that.
47 of 145

Thanks for flagging the posting, Kevin. I checked and it looks like it's already been removed by Upwork team as inappropriate.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jennifer N Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
48 of 145

i know i was just doing an interview with scammers..... they sent me an invite and i accepted then they told me to go to google hangout..... then after like 2 hours talking i was going to be hired.  and then he says hes going to send me paymenty..... the last thing i said was that "this just seems a little off" and they stopped talking to me

49 of 145

Jennifer,

If you get a chance, could you please click on my name and send me a private message with a screenshot of you communication with the client outside of Upwork?

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jordan S Member Since: Nov 9, 2017
50 of 145

I feel as though I may  be in the midst of a scam. I was asked to take a check to the bank after talking on here, emailing then going to google hangouts to talk. After I got the check he asked me to take it to the bank (immediately) to withdraw funds for a western union transfer. Something seems off but at the same time its not the same as these other stories. What should I do here?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS