cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
71 of 145

Hi Jason,

Let me follow up with the team about this job and make sure actions are taken.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jason B Member Since: Jan 7, 2017
72 of 145

Sorry about saying things that are restricted by the Community guidelines. I was irate with the guy who had the nerve to try and pull that kind of crap on good people. It really gets under my skin. I apologize and appreciate your diligence.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
73 of 145

@jason B wrote:

Sorry about saying things that are restricted by the Community guidelines. I was irate with the guy who had the nerve to try and pull that kind of crap on good people. It really gets under my skin. I apologize and appreciate your diligence.

I'm right there with you, Jason.

I often write out a response, then have to go back and edit it before I hit send. It's frustrating what human beings will try to do to each other. 

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
74 of 145

Good catch.

Yes, indeed. I'm seeing a lot more "fishing" (for info) expeditions out there. Symptons:

1) High invite rate

2) Extended periods of open jobs (when the average for "real" jobs is a day or 2)

3) No payment method

4) Long time client with 0 hires / 0 $ / 0 hours

5) Never closes a job

6) Asks for "proposals", samples, tests, estimates while providing very little "commitment"

7) Talks too "techie" for a "client" (i.e. is sub-contracting)

etc.

You need to be an industrial psychologist these days to survive.

At the same time, it makes the whole process more "interesting".

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
75 of 145

Another good one to look for is clients looking for a huge number of freelancers.  This are certainly spam/ scam.  I report every one I see.  Also jobs where the time zone/location are bogus.  I've learned to look at that early on.

Lynnette D Member Since: Feb 2, 2016
76 of 145

I just got scammed by a woman with the name of **edited for Community Guidelines**.  I spent hours on her project, sent her all of my files and when I woke up the next morning, lo and behold she closed the account, stealing all of my work and I never got paid.

What can I do? I reported her to Upwork, still waiting.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
77 of 145

Hi Lynnette, 

It is unfortunate that this contract didn't turn out good. As per the Hourly Protection for Freelancers, you should qualify for payment protection if the following are met:

• An hourly contract
  • A client with a verified billing method
  • An account in good standing
  • To log your hours with the Upwork Desktop App
  • To be visibly working on a contract-related activity in your Work Diary
  • To annotate your Work Diary with memos or activities labels that adequately describe the activity performed
  • To maintain adequate and fair activity levels
  • To stay within the contract's weekly limit

Please take note that I edited both your posts because it is a violation of the Upwork Community Guidelines to include names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing in your post. Please be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the community. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
78 of 145

@Lynnette D wrote:

I just got scammed by a woman with the name of **edited for Community Guidelines**.  I spent hours on her project, sent her all of my files and when I woke up the next morning, lo and behold she closed the account, stealing all of my work and I never got paid.

What can I do? I reported her to Upwork, still waiting.

If this was an hourly contract you will get paid by Upwork as long as the clients account is verified and you used the Time Tracker to record the hours you worked, and entered notes for the screen shots that were taken.

If this was a fixed rate contract, and the client's account was verified, and escrow was funded, then any funds in escrow will be released to you in 14 days.

If either of those statesments don't apply, youire only other option is to let this client know that since you weren't paid, and until you are paid,  the copyrights still belong to you, and if you find any of your work published online, you will contact the site's host provider with a DMCA notice and have your work taken down.

And search every now and then (copyscape, google, (free) and other services (for a price)

Kumar C Member Since: Apr 5, 2017
79 of 145

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info you have mentioned. In my case, I am new to Upwork and Indian. Lot of cliches already attached. And as a new comer to this community I just want to get started. My first priority is to win clients. This means I will not be reading terms and conditions until unless I run into some trouble. Happened with me. If it was me trying to spend time in interviews and failing them I would not mind. I would consider it as a cost in my business and move on. In my case, I spent not only time, but money as well, solved problem for the "potential" client and the guy just disappeared. No response. Nothing. And upwork only has one option for me, flag the job inappropriate. :-(

Now, established clients don't hire n00bs. And n00bs don't get clients. Catch 22.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
80 of 145

Hi Kumar, 

If you still haven't flagged the job post, please share more information to me via a private message about this client so that I can share with the team. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS