🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scammers
Page options
chicagolor1
Community Member

Scammers

I have been a victim of fraud, the client said that they would send me a check to purchase the equipment that is needed, and after that they wanted to do direct deposit into my bank account. When I got the 1st check I knew something was wrong and I took it to my bank and they did a credit check and found out that the check was a fake and no such company exists, and when I contacted the client they said that I should just deposit it, when I declined I never heard from them again and their profile was closed. My question is, is it OK to only request payment to a PayPal account? You are assigned a routing number and account number? I there has been a few that have not had issues with that, their are some that insist on sending a check even when we start a chat that I only take payments via PayPal, they say OK then make me fill out a application on hangouts. Is it just me or am I wrong
4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lorraine, 

I checked your account and can see that you are yet to submit your profile. As such, I'm not sure if your experience is referring to clients on Upwork, but please know that it is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service to pay freelancers off the platform (through checks, Paypal, bank deposit, etc.). I would recommend that you decline such offers, and report these clients on Upwork. All payments made should be through the Upwork website. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Lorraine F wrote:
 My question is, is it OK to only request payment to a PayPal account?

No, of course it isn't OK.

You are not allowed to accept any payment from any client you meet on Upwork in any way, shape, or form other than through Upwork.

Partly because doing so is defrauding Upwork out of their fee, and partly to protect people who aren't smart enough to see a clear scam when it jumps up and down in front of them screaming "If you believe that any real company would really send a real check to some stranger on the Internet, you may want to reconsider using the Internet!"

Lorraine F wrote:
... there has been a few that have not had issues with that, their are some that insist on sending a check even when we start a chat that I only take payments via PayPal,

So you had several clients pay you through PayPal, defrauding Upwork, and also defrauding each and every honest freelancer on this site.

Those of us who work honestly, paying the fees when out clients pay us through Upwork, pay for people who pull stunts like that, and personally I can't help but think that when the scamming freelancers (who accept payment outside of Upwork) get scammed because their scamming goes wrong, it's Karma at work.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lorraine F wrote:
I have been a victim of fraud, the client said that they would send me a check to purchase the equipment that is needed, and after that they wanted to do direct deposit into my bank account. When I got the 1st check I knew something was wrong and I took it to my bank and they did a credit check and found out that the check was a fake and no such company exists, and when I contacted the client they said that I should just deposit it, when I declined I never heard from them again and their profile was closed. My question is, is it OK to only request payment to a PayPal account? You are assigned a routing number and account number? I there has been a few that have not had issues with that, their are some that insist on sending a check even when we start a chat that I only take payments via PayPal, they say OK then make me fill out a application on hangouts. Is it just me or am I wrong

Your profile is completely empty, so how would legit clients even know what skills you have? Do you really believe that legit clients would buy equipment for a stranger on the internet whose profile is completely empty? So many red flags. 

Martina P wrote:

Is it just me or am I wrong

Your profile is completely empty, so how would legit clients even know what skills you have? Do you really believe that legit clients would buy equipment for a stranger on the internet whose profile is completely empty? So many red flags. 

Her profile isn't even approved yet, so heaven only knows how any clients would even find her?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members