Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers!

maria_mba
Marija B Member Since: Oct 11, 2016
1 of 2

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that there have been a lot of scam offers lately in the writing section. If you are looking for such jobs and you come across offers by a client who has opened his profile in the last couple of days and they are looking for web content writers or article writers DO NOT apply.

So far I have managed to figure several such profiles. They will offer to pay a good rate per 500 words but they will not accept to pay you over upwork but instead they want to use direct payments. Another thing that gives them away is that they all say that they pay once a week or on the 6th day.

I already found several simmilar job postings posted today by such new profiles.

Hope it helps the new freelencers on here.

Maria

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 2

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

In particular, ANY client asking to pay you outside of Upwork for ANY reason is either 1) a scam or 2) violating the ToS in one of the most severe ways. Accepting payment outside Upwork can lead to your profile being suspended. Even if the scammer says they have an "arrangement with Upwork" or something (I've heard this a couple of times now), they are lying. All payments MUST be through Upwork!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS