cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers

terinam
Terina M Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 15

Thank you, Avery, for replying, I didn't see this until now (2 years later, oops). I have, indeed, reported it to Upwork, and they got shut down pretty quickly. I think I might have been contacted either by them again, or it was a copycat, a few months later, and declined their invitation, as well as, having reported them. I'm glad we have Upwork looking out for us. I'm glad you're there, having my back.

Sincerely,

Terina

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 15

re: "The problem is, they don't invite you from Google Hangouts, or these people who attempted with me didn't."

To clarify: When we refer to a "Google Hangouts invite"... this is a "shorthand" term that refers to when a freelancer receives an invite from out of the blue (they didn't send a proposal) to discuss a job. And after the freelances responds, the "client" quickly asks the freelancer to discuss the "job" using Google Hangouts.

The initial invite (invitation) comes through Upwork. This is followed by an invitation to "interview" using the Google Hangouts platform. But the interview is always a sham. It is a opportunity for the scammer to apply a script they use to trick the freelancer out of money in their bank account.

terinam
13 of 15

Hi, Preston, 

It was an Invitation to Interview, through Upwork, and like all the other invitations, I answered it, gave my proposal, was contacted through the Upwork messenger, where she told me who the client was, and she needed my hangouts name so the hiring guy could give me more information (turned out THAT was the interview, there was no further information given). Seeing all those red flags come up was just exhausting for a really simple (so I thought) data entry job. I don't want to go through that again. Since then, I stay on Upwork messenger for communication with new clients. Lesson learned.

Sincerely,

Terina

schardo
Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: May 12, 2019
14 of 15
I probably wouldn't spend any more time trying to sleuth out scammers. You could get yourself in trouble and compromise your account.

I'd just report and move on.
terinam
15 of 15

I agree, thank you, Sarah!

Sincerely,

Terina

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS