cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scamming Attempt

olivier008
Sandra O Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 13

I received a few emails this week from a supposed client offering me an Office Coordinator job and asking me for an interview. I thought the wording was too vague and I asked for more information. The first two messages I got had a woman's photo on the profile, the last one had the same female name but a young male's photo on the profile. I have flagged the job, withdrawn the application and requested not to be contacted by this "employer" any longer. I've also told Gmail about the phishing/scamming attempt. Here is a copy of the last email message I received today, after requesting more information before accepting the request for interview. There are many red flags, starting with the different photos on the same profile, to many grammatical errors, to the last paragraph, which is a total mess:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

It went so well up until she wanted to you buy stuff for kids at the orphanage.

View solution in original post

olivier008
3 of 13

Thank you for commenting, Jennifer. Actually, I could tell it was a scam from the very first sentence, which is full of errors: "How are you doing today, Hope fine? there are no problems with location... your job will be based on your location."

When it gets to the end, though, I just have to laugh! I do hope UpWork closes the account in due time before any innocent honest worker gets scammed.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13

Yes, well, unfortunately Upwork does not make an exception for receiving funds from outside of the Upwork platform (such as the "client's" certified check), even if it is for the purpose of purchasting toys for those cute little orphans.

I believe this is because orphans typically have such low job scores.

olivier008
5 of 13

Crazy, isn't it, Preston? Thank you for replying to my post. I am considering if I should close my account here or not. A couple more "offers" like this one and I'll know for sure. I do hope the legit offers start showing up.

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
6 of 13

The sheer length of that job post told me it's a scam. In my 4+ years of freelancing I haven't seen a client who wants to share their life story in the job post. And then they had to go with the check and the orphans and oversell it...

olivier008
7 of 13

I agree, Bojana. Thank you for replying. The funny thing is that I have received the same type of email in other sites. They don't even have any criativity or talent to craft a message of their own. Very sad!

ryangabion
Ryan G Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
8 of 13

Hi thanks for the post as I've opened this community forum I woke up for a possible fraud to happen as what the guys experience the same here. 2 days before I got the same fraudulent job offer which i doubted just lately this morning that i am scammed. There a lady name **Edited for Community Guidelines** - and she wants me to setup a gmail account and afterwards discussed the possible job offer and interview process. At first i didn't noticed for any flaws she's talking about because i get too excited for the hourly rates pay and the easy job to do. Thereafter the interview she got offline for about 2 hours to review my answers during interview and later back saying i get hired. I am too happy knowing i made it. However getting along with the conversation she's chatting differently which she says in order to carried out my job with they will deliver/shift a complete tools and equipment to my home address and purchased check is my responsibility to settle. I am confused because she's telling to deliver the equipment’s like laptop, printers, fax machine, scanner and bunch of software which my eyes become big as I don't know what are the relationship of this software to my data entry job. Yet I insisted I don't need all of that because I do have already my own laptop, printers, faxes scanners. Later I've realized that something went wrong and my thinking is pointing into a fraud scheme. as I've recall our conversation knowing she's the hiring Manager of one of the respected and reputable company (billions in accounts) why would they bother to deliver such annoying items and they let take charge their employee to pay the 300 dollars cost?. Common sense, you are engage to a multibillion company at my job is only a data entry clerk, its sound i am so special employee. At first thing to look up too is she is only using a gmail account while she supposed to use the company email officially. Secondly I've noticed she gave me a fake Human Resource email account, different from the contact email address of that legit company website she shared for. this is an awareness to all of you guys and hope upwork investigation team could strained up such client posting job scams either to block them or filing a criminal charges.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 13

Yep, Ryan, you were smart to realize it was a scam.

No legitimate client needs to have you create a gmail account so they can discuss a job with you. A real client can discuss a job using Upwork messaging, and can conduct interviews using Skype or phone, with their real voice. Asking you to create a new account somewhere to discuss a job is a way to escape Upwork scrutiny and is a sure sign of a scam.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the heads-up. Please use the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the job post or client's profile to put in front of us for review. Policy violations are the most direct way to have Upwork review suspicious job posts/Clients and take appropriate action, in some cases removing them from the site altogether.

I edited your post, as we do not allow posting information about specific member or job posting violations in the Community.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS