🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scamming
Page options
dsparnell1960
Community Member

Scamming

Good morning all,

I haven't been on Upwork for a while, and thought I would try again.  I sent some proposals over the weekend-through yesterday.   Almost every single response back, wants me to interview outside of Upwork, examples being: Skype, Telegram, Whatsapp etc.   I know this is not allowed, so I am telling them that.      I am just trying to find some work to help provide for my family, but it just seems I keep getting nowhere.  

10 REPLIES 10
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Some clients are unaware of the rule against communicating off the platform prior to a contract but most who suggest it are scammers. Flag them and when UW takes down the job post your connects will be refunded. Also, take a few seconds to flag any job posts you can identify as scams from the descriptions. Every little bit helps. 

You will likely find this helpful to avoid wasting your own time. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

My recommendation is to write something that you can store in a text file and then copy-and-paste every time you need it.

Something brief that explains Upwork rules require all communications be done on Upwork until an official contract is in place.

Then, if you encounter a client who asks you to communicate off-platform, always give them the opportunity to do the right thing. If the client communicates with you on Upwork and/or hires you with an official Upwork contract, then that's great!

If the client will not communicate with you on the Upwork platform but insists on communicating with an external tool AND the client doesn't hire you, then report the client every time. Use "Flag as inappropriate" on the job post and report the client for asking to communicate outside of Upwork.

Basically:
If a client asks you to communicate off-platform, then the client needs to either repent and hire you, or get reported.

Repent?  Lol! 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I'm sorry you're encountering so many scams here. Upwork is aware of the increased number of them making it through their filters and are doing all they can to to try to stop them.

ericaandrews
Community Member

Here's the combination I personally look for to avoid scams before even submitting a proposal, and avoid wasting 'connects':

1. Payment method verified

2. Client has been active on Upwork over 3 months at least, but over 1 year preferred  ("Member Since" date in their profile)

3. Total money spent by client over $1k  (I give some lee-way to this if the client  appears to be an individual or very small company that has hired for multiple 'tiny' contracts on UW)

4. The client has hired at least 3 other freelancers dating back at least 1 month in the past, and their  hire history shows they have been paying those freelancers ("Billed: $xxx.xx", etc)  when you look at their previous/past hires.

5. 4-5 star reviews (cumulative) from freelancers or at least no geniune complaints from freelancers posted in their 'reviews'  (like "Client was disrespectful", "Dude refused to pay", etc.).   If they have on-going contracts, they might not have reviews yet, but they should at least have few or no complaints

6. I open some of the past and 'current' jobs they have posted and verify they look like real, legal, legitimate jobs

7. I then open some of the freelancer profiles of people they have 'hired' before to verify they appear to be real, legitimate freelancers with favorable reputations.    (A 'client' that has hired nothing but 'sketchy' freelancers is usually running a scam that involves those fake(?) freelancer profiles)

8. I look at the LOCATION they claim to be in versus the "timezone" or current time showing on their profile.   If somebody has a "current time" that doesn't make sense for the location they claim to be in, I leave it alone.  I'm not talking off by 1-2 time zones due to travel, but somebody claiming to be in the U.S. and having a 'time zone' that couldn't possibly be anywhere in the U.S. on their profile. If they are lying about their location, then what else are they lying about?

9. I look at their "hire rate" on the profile. If they've posted multiple jobs and have a 0% hire rate or a very low one, I don't bother. 

10. Look at the job post itself: If they've already 'hired' many other people for the same job or are 'inviting' and 'interviewing' a large quantity of people for the same job,  it's usually a scam where they are 'hiring' anybody that applies or a waste of connects (because your proposal may never been seen).  If they have multiple jobs posted with essentially the same title as the one you are viewing, avoid it.

Basically, I simply don't deal with brand 'new' clients ever or clients with no reputation/track-record or a bad reputation because I have found the vast majority to be scams or people that aren't serious prospects.

Upwork doesn't officially 'discourage' people from approaching brand new clients, but it's my personal policy that I have found works well for me because I have never been scammed on UW.

I also apply this same criteria to 'invites'  I receive. If they don't meet my criteria, it gets rejected: Don't dare send me an 'invite' if you've just joined the platform 1 day ago or "today", have no hires, no money spent, and worst of all, don't even have a payment method on file. It gets rejected faster than Shaq can block a lay-up on a basketball court.  lol  I don't have time for the non-sense.

It might mean missing out on some viable 'leads', but that's a risk I'm willing to take to avoid being scammed. Examining everything available on the job post about the client's history, who they've hired, and what they've paid and being very selective about who you spend 'connects' on or which 'invites' you respond to goes a long way in avoiding the scams.

I legitimately try to keep my options to specifics. always click verified payments, always look to see the hire rate. the client I posted about, didn't have a high hire rate and had only been on since mid-January, but I saw the payment was verified and the length was enough. and at one point on the job posting, you could see who else applied/was hired, so I felt it was trustworthy. it only showed multiple people were at risk of being scammed. Thanks for this list and I will aim to stick to these guidelines. I've been scammed and almost scammed by so many job postings since last summer and it's heartbreaking when you sincerely have backed up bills that need payment.

I guess he journey continues.

Cierra, here is the best roundup I have seen on recognizing and avoiding scams.

Good luck! 

Thank you very much CJ for this roundup. It is massive work you have done here for the upwork community.

I am a new freelencer to Upwork and today someone tried to scam me. Inviting me off upwork and requesting that I pay for some premium ID. When I refused and insisted we did all financial transactions on UpWork, he stopped communicating with me.

I wish upwork would do a bit more to protect genuine people on this site. 

Hello I'mKing,

Thank you for your message. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review and take appropriate action on the flagged job posts. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
melaniekhenson
Community Member

If a posting seems legit and it seems like I'm being asked to communicate off-platform ("can we Zoom?" or whatever), I usually say something like "Great! Let's Zoom via Upwork. Send me an invitation to the room when you're ready." I give them that benefit of a doubt. Twice recently I've had this happen and that is actually what the client meant, and I did accept one of those two projects and completed it.

If it's obvious from the get-go, I don't even try. I just report the job. Scams get very easy to pinpoint, very quickly after you sign up on Upwork. Don't waste your time in that case.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members