🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammy Client and probably locked in a milest...
Page options
quincemedia
Community Member

Scammy Client and probably locked in a milestone loop.

Hello there

Begining of this year I've got a client who's first project is this one (no rating yet). I've had to create LED background animated video for him/his client's wedding. Client is from Cambodia. Conversation went normal. He funded first milestone and said that he will need video in first half of January. I've sent completed video on 12th of January and then 2 days after I submitted work for payment again. Got no reply for 9 days and then he just showed up before automatic transfer of milestone is completed. He just said "I dont like graphics" and requested changes to the milestone without any additional comments. I asked for additional comments so I know what is wrong but here we are almost 10 additional days without any activity. For me it looks like he either abandoned the project or took the first video and trying to cheat on me.

I have to mention that I am senior professional and working over 15+ years in this field. Having top rated in both personal and agency score with 100% jobs sucess score.

What should I do?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Djordje K wrote:

Hello there

Begining of this year I've got a client who's first project is this one (no rating yet). I've had to create LED background animated video for him/his client's wedding. Client is from Cambodia. Conversation went normal. He funded first milestone and said that he will need video in first half of January. I've sent completed video on 12th of January and then 2 days after I submitted work for payment again. Got no reply for 9 days and then he just showed up before automatic transfer of milestone is completed. He just said "I dont like graphics" and requested changes to the milestone without any additional comments. I asked for additional comments so I know what is wrong but here we are almost 10 additional days without any activity. For me it looks like he either abandoned the project or took the first video and trying to cheat on me.

I have to mention that I am senior professional and working over 15+ years in this field. Having top rated in both personal and agency score with 100% jobs sucess score.

What should I do?

Thanks

I don't see anything particularly scammy about this. This is a fixed price job? You only submit once, and then get automatically paid after 14 days. If you resubmit (don't do that) the clock starts again. 

Hello

I already did that. Client shown 10th day after and asked for changes (said "I don't like graphics") without any comments and dissappeared again.

Best regards

Did you resubmit?

re: "I asked for additional comments so I know what is wrong but here we are almost 10 additional days without any activity."

If the client clicked the "reqest changes" button, but did not actually specify anything actionable, then I hope you did what I would have done, which would have been to immediately click the Resubmit button, which would have re-started the 14-day countdown clock.

That way, if the client is genuinely unresponsive (as you suggested), you will receive al remaining escrow funds in 4 more days.

Hello

Client asked for changes but did not said anything specific what has to be
changed. I did resubmit today (10 days after). I doubt he will get back to
me until this milestone automatic payment is about to expire again.

Tganka

re: "I doubt he will get back to me until this milestone automatic payment is about to expire again."

He did that once before.

If he does that again, then there is no question about it: He is doing this deliberately.

I would indeed mean that you have fallen into a "milestone loop" (to use your appropriate phrase).

This is what I routinely refer to as a client who is exploiting the "fixed-price loophole."

If he does this again, you may have no real choice but to file a dispute, if you want to get your money.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members