cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammy freeloaders now available on Facebook.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Konstantinos X Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
1 of 10

Hey this guy just sent me this. Just a heads up for any new Upwork freelancers, if someone/anyone contacts you anywhere outside of Upwork for the 1st time, thats a 110% super duper epic mega Scam.

Ps. I'm going to lure him into giving me his job ad-if any- so I can report his a**.

Over and out. Have a lovely afternoon/evening/night.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 10

@Konstantine K wrote:

Hey this guy just sent me this. Just a heads up for any new Upwork freelancers, if someone/anyone contacts you anywhere outside of Upwork for the 1st time, thats a 110% super duper epic mega Scam.

Ps. I'm going to lure him into giving me his job ad-if any- so I can report his a**.

Over and out. Have a lovely afternoon/evening/night.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Recently another guy got in touch with me via the email function of my website (which he must have searched as it is not on my profile). He also has written that he found my profile in Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 10

Man you guys jump at people too quick! I wouldn't like someone contacting me on Facebook, but I would just say "sure man, we can discuss but I still only take payments on upwork." I'd probably then tell him my FB is only for fun and don't want to discuss on there.

Highlighted
4 of 10

@Jennifer M wrote:

Man you guys jump at people too quick! I wouldn't like someone contacting me on Facebook, but I would just say "sure man, we can discuss but I still only take payments on upwork." I'd probably then tell him my FB is only for fun and don't want to discuss on there.

I do not want to discuss with a bogus "client" outside of Upwork. The guy who got in touch with me was definitely not what he pretended to be (everything fake). Automatically he landed im my spam filter and I left him there. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Konstantinos X Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
5 of 10

While I fully agree on giving the benefit of the doubt, internet is dark and full of terrors. If this guy is legit,why isn't he using Upwork's platform to message me ? Even if he's legit, messaging me on Facebook for the very 1st time doesn't seem too professional to work with. But that's just my opinion based on experience so far.

@Margarete- Ye, I saw what happened to you in another post, can't remember which one was though 

Highlighted
6 of 10

@Konstantine K wrote:

While I fully agree on giving the benefit of the doubt, internet is dark and full of terrors. If this guy is legit,why isn't he using Upwork's platform to message me ? Even if he's legit, messaging me on Facebook for the very 1st time doesn't seem too professional to work with. But that's just my opinion based on experience so far.

@Margarete- Ye, I saw what happened to you in another post, can't remember which one was though 

It is very unlikely that somebody who gets in touch with you outside of Upwork intends to work with you on Upwork. Even worse: this person could only be interested in your personal data.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 10

I understand being a little bit hesitant and tbh I would be a little ticked at someone finding my FB, but I've had people find me outside of Upwork after finding me on the platform and I pulled them back on. I've also had them try to take me off, so I get it but some people are really just trying to talk to you... maybe they can't figure out the site or something.

I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't hurt to at least see what's up and pull them back on the site. 

Highlighted
8 of 10

@Jennifer M wrote:

I understand being a little bit hesitant and tbh I would be a little ticked at someone finding my FB, but I've had people find me outside of Upwork after finding me on the platform and I pulled them back on. I've also had them try to take me off, so I get it but some people are really just trying to talk to you... maybe they can't figure out the site or something.

I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't hurt to at least see what's up and pull them back on the site. 

OK, when a top-class official will chase me outside of Upwork I will try to bring him back! Woman Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 10

This made me check my FB "message requests" and there was an old one from somebody purporting to be a member of Upwork and asking me to fill out a survey about freelancers.  Darn, and I missed it....  Bless  her heart.

And she had such a nice name:  Jadey Jade.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
10 of 10

There was a client who contacted me on Facebook because he wanted to continue working with me outside the site. This was long after the project was completed here. I only noticed his message months after because it ended up in the Spam/Other folder since we're not connected as Facebook friends. I replied and invited him back to commence work in Upwork again but he didn't reply afterwards. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS