🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scams, everywhere
Page options
sswin501
Community Member

Scams, everywhere

I know I'm not the first or the last person to harp on this, but can I just say how frustrating it is to keep dealing with this on top of now paying just to submit my proposals? I'm not so bad at telling which jobs are scams anymore, but to have an Upwork team member suggest/invite to apply for a job and have it end up being a big fat waste of time I could have spent doing other things is disappointing. I'm just glad I didn't use connects for it. Why can't the employers go through screening before being able to post jobs like I had to before I could get all of the nice badges on my page proving I am who I say I am? You're already charging me just to apply, then taking a percentage of my earnings (plus whatever they charge the client)... Something needs to give 😞 

5 REPLIES 5
christinecais
Community Member

Same thoughts =(
It looks no one is even reviewing clienta profile.
This is really getting more and more frustrating. I had 2 scam jobs in the last month alone.
acapellojones
Community Member

how do you know its a scam? I am hesitant on one person that contacted me......

Amber,

The main one I've seen is a listing that's perfectly legible but once you start a conversation it's obvious English is not their native language. I kept responding just to see what I would get, and I got a mess of a contract using the company's actual logo along with an I-9 form for my information. The agreement listed an actual company but their e-mails had a name that was just slightly off. It noted headquarters in one state when the actual company is based somewhere else. The phone number was listed in yet another state. They asked if I would accept payment by "credit card balance" or a check. No phone number or contact information aside from the name in the e-mails. I don't watch much TV so I didn't snap on it, but if there's any question I will search everyone that is contacting me. One name came up as an actor from a popular tv show. Stupid, red flags everywhere you look once you know what to look for. A lot of them are trying to get you to do "interviews" via Google hangout. Google search is your friend, and if you still aren't comfortable, skip it or make them stay on Upwork if it even gets that far. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shanna, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with your client. I can confirm that actions have been taken against the client's account for violating the Upwork Terms of Service. 

There are times that there is not enough information on a client's job posting for the team to take actions against the client's account. However, please know that we have dedicated teams in place to review users on the platform, and take actions against them once they are proven to have violated the Terms of Service. Just the same, I have shared your concern with the team so that we can take on better steps for cases like this to be prevented. 

In the meantime, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
sswin501
Community Member

Thank you for the response. I'm mostly just venting I suppose but I appreciate the information! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members