🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scams - reaching the bottom (and my inbox too...
Page options
elisa_b
Community Member

Scams - reaching the bottom (and my inbox too)!

I was so sick and tired of scams that I filtered out job offers with unverified payment methods, in order to clean up my feed, and it worked.

But today I received an email from Upwork with a recap of "Great jobs that need more proposals". Out of 5 "new jobs you might be interested in", 5 were scams!

Unrealistic hourly rates (up to 300 USD/hour) or fixed prices, even a phone number in plain view, highlighted with several hand-shaped emoticons.

I understand that these emails are created and sent automatically, but this is a clear demonstration Upwork does not have any control over scams, nor seems to be interested in doing something! Is it really that hard to prevent the publication of job "offers" featuring Telegram links and/or phone numbers? Is it really that hard to remove promptly "offers" that are being flagged over and over again?

Had I landed on Upwork today, and not years ago as I did, I would think that this platform is yet another marketplace full of crap. I would have run away from it immediately.

I don't know what Upwork is waiting for, their credibility is free falling.

6 REPLIES 6
8d438bf5
Community Member

I am a newbie on Upwork and I have been seeing some job posting with phone number and telegram account to reach out for more details of the job. I really want to know if every job posted on Upwork is tenure including the ones with phone numbers as I have started contacting them already. Thanks

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Charity,

Welcome to Upwork!

Do not contact those job posters. They are scammers.

It is against Upwork's terms that you make contact with a job poster outside of the platform before a contract has been initiated. 

Only after a contract is activated, can you engage with the client through other communication options.

If you see these types of jobs. flag them and report them to Upwork.

Please, please protect yourself from these types of clients. 

Also, start reviewing this information Upwork provides:

Staying Safe on Upwork – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Hi, it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Services to communicate outside of Upwork before having a contract in place. I understand there are a lot of job posts with contact details, but there is no reason to engage with them outside of Upwork.

As a new freelancer, there is a lot you need to learn before jumping right in to sending proposals.

Please read the following resources to get you up to speed on how to use Upwork, and learn what is allowed and not allowed.

SCAM : STOP buying PUBG, CRYPTO, NFT, etc… on... - Upwork Community

Get Started – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Upwork Legal Center

List of red flags for scams - Upwork Community

Freelancing 101 on Upwork - Upwork Community

Report Suspicious User Activity – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs - Upwork Community

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Elisa,

Elisa B wrote:

I understand that these emails are created and sent automatically, but this is a clear demonstration Upwork does not have any control over scams, nor seems to be interested in doing something!

Ohh...but they do!

A publicly-traded company of this size has complete control.

What they do or don't do with that control is an entirely different discussion.

I'm so glad I opted out of receiving invites last year. 

"A publicly-traded company of this size has complete control." Every single word and image on this site is completely in Upwork's control. Everything. Even what I just typed. These words wouldn't be here without them having a mechanism for me to enter them.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

"Great jobs that need more proposals". Out of 5 "new jobs you might be interested in", 5 were scams!" Just wow. Upwork sending out scams themselves without checking them first. It seems like it's impossible, but it seems like things are getting worse, not better.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members