🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scams
Page options
carloshuffman
Community Member

Scams

Hello,

I am new here and i wanted to know so many things. First of all i have use so many frelance site and meet so many scam issue **Edited for Community Guidelines**. This site is scam free. Right?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Carlos H wrote:

This site is scam free. Right?

No site is "scam free"

**edited for Community Guidelines**

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carlos, 

I highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

A member of the team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Having many questions is a sign of intelligence.

What you have entered is a globally-deployed platform that is the world's largest virtual (professional) employment ecosystem.  Upwork's numbers are as such (a bit dated).

In 2016 and 2017, our total revenue was $164.4 million and $202.6 million, respectively, representing an annual growth rate of 23%. For the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2018, our total revenue was $95.5 million and $121.9 million, respectively, representing a period-over-period growth rate of 28%.

Though the company is privately held, its market value in IPO circumstances would be well over a billion. Gary Swart's move some time back to acquire eLance and clear out the closest competitor was a stroke of brilliance (Gary is the founder of Upwork).  He has since disengaged with a net worth in the nine to ten figures and runs a group of Tech Investor entrepreneurs.  The firm's growth rate is staggering and though profit margins are probably low right now, it is highly probable that unlike Uber or Lyft, the enterprise is actually making money.

As to the most recent information I can find, Jeff Chin is still the VP of Trust and Security -- the group tasked with keeping the platform safe.  

**Edited for community guidelines**

He came in from Elance, and prior to that had risen to levels of significance within Ebay's.  With strong probability, It is he who brought us into the JSS among many of his T&S inititatives.

A company worth a billion dollars.  Growing and consolidating its position as the world's leading global platform for virtual resource engagement.  Some of the finest talent in the industry running the Trust & Security department.   Upwork is not a scam by a long-long shot.

It is good to do business research on any platform before deciding to engage this.  Information, now provided.  Go get'm, tiger.

John B wrote:

Having many questions is a sign of intelligence.

What you have entered is a globally-deployed platform that is the world's largest virtual (professional) employment ecosystem.  Upwork's numbers are as such (a bit dated).

In 2016 and 2017, our total revenue was $164.4 million and $202.6 million, respectively, representing an annual growth rate of 23%. For the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2018, our total revenue was $95.5 million and $121.9 million, respectively, representing a period-over-period growth rate of 28%.

Though the company is privately held, its market value in IPO circumstances would be well over a billion. Gary Swart's move some time back to acquire eLance and clear out the closest competitor was a stroke of brilliance (Gary is the founder of Upwork).  He has since disengaged with a net worth in the nine to ten figures and runs a group of Tech Investor entrepreneurs.  The firm's growth rate is staggering and though profit margins are probably low right now, it is highly probable that unlike Uber or Lyft, the enterprise is actually making money.

As to the most recent information I can find, Jeff Chin is still the VP of Trust and Security -- the group tasked with keeping the platform safe.  

**Edited for community guidelines**

He came in from Elance, and prior to that had risen to levels of significance within Ebay's.  With strong probability, It is he who brought us into the JSS among many of his T&S inititatives.

A company worth a billion dollars.  Growing and consolidating its position as the world's leading global platform for virtual resource engagement.  Some of the finest talent in the industry running the Trust & Security department.   Upwork is not a scam by a long-long shot.

It is good to do business research on any platform before deciding to engage this.  Information, now provided.  Go get'm, tiger.

I don't think he was insinuating that upwork is a scam, but that there a lots of scammers on upwork, which is in fact the case. 

No, the original poster was not insinuating that.

Was asking "are there scams here?" which is different from "is this a scam?"

Those are two different questions.

But the second question IS one that we see asked from time to time here in the Forum.

And the answer to that was an interesting and "comprehensive" way to answer that question.

My own thought on that second question (the one o.p. didn't ask) is this:

When connects were free, then there was a certain "purity" to Upwork. It could not justifiably be considered a scam. It was asking freelancers for nothing but an investment in time and information.

But now that connects are NOT free, the question "Is Upwork a scam?" is a question which is more reasonable for a person to ask if they don't know anything about the site.

For many users, those tho spend money to bid on jobs, and never make any money, Upwork may very well "feel like" a scam.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members