🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scams
Page options
38f60f07
Community Member

Scams

Hi- I have been getting emails saying that the contracts I have applied to have been closed-it already happened with 3 of the listings already because the client was not legitimate. Since I already spent connets applying to these positions, will I be able to get them back? I was not aware that there were so many of these fake profiles and I have been losing money applying to these jobs.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Sarah Vy N wrote:

Hi- I have been getting emails saying that the contracts I have applied to have been closed-it already happened with 3 of the listings already because the client was not legitimate. Since I already spent connets applying to these positions, will I be able to get them back? 

Yes, you'll get them back automatically.

Those people specifically target new US based freelancers. Once you have your first few jobs under your belt, they leave you alone.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Sarah Vy N wrote:

Hi- I have been getting emails saying that the contracts I have applied to have been closed-it already happened with 3 of the listings already because the client was not legitimate. Since I already spent connets applying to these positions, will I be able to get them back? 

Yes, you'll get them back automatically.

Those people specifically target new US based freelancers. Once you have your first few jobs under your belt, they leave you alone.

38f60f07
Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Petra. That's good to know. 😞 It's unfortunate that it is a common occurance. 

Sarah Vy N wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Petra. That's good to know. 😞 It's unfortunate that it is a common occurance. 

Only for people in the US - the old check cashing scam. Stay vigilant, after a while you'll be able to recognize scammers within a fraction of a second and skip the job posting, or at least the inevitable job interview on google hangout with their "hiring manager". 

Hi Sarah,

I checked and it seems that the Connects were already refunded for the job posts you are referring to. You can check out the Reports > Connects History page for more information.

Feel free to check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Additionally, you may want to check out these resources we put together to help freelancers to get to a safe and successful start.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members