🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scared this company is fake
Page options
anaistew
Community Member

Scared this company is fake

I was offered a job position from **Edited for Community Guidelines**  and its a remote CSR job. They offered me the job position after I did my interview with them through a instant messenging system. I got the job not too long after, with a pdf job offer letter. I was assigned a team leader and then asked to type out various articles and quick essays. Then later I was told I was going to recieve a check of $3,000 to purchase my materials. I did that and the check didn't even go through so they had to contact my bank. I have to wait until the money comes, until they asked me to go to **Edited for Community Guidelines** or **Edited for Community Guidelines** to get  THREE stream cards. To activiate a G1 time tracker which sounds incredbly suscipus. My mom said it could be a fraudulent check and could bounce it. I am very worried and upset as I spent a lot of time on this site.

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Your mom is right, the check will bounce, so don’t buy anything at Fry’s or Walgreen. Any client telling you they’ll send a check is a fake, because it’s against Upwork rules to send you payment directly. Legit clients pay you through Upwork, and anybody can call themselves whatever big company they like when they post a job so pay no attention to company names. Before doing anything else, it might be worth your while to read this article: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833

...Can you think of a single situation where a client (who is supposed to pay you for work) would need you to pay them money? In Steam gift cards? Come on. This is call centre scamming 101.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anais,

Could you please send me a private message with your Upwork username or registered email address so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths