🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scope of the contract
Page options
6989aa12
Community Member

Scope of the contract

Hi,

I would like to know, if possible, what a contract between a client and a freelancer englobes besides the job details with an attached tasks list.

If the client asks via messages for tasks not in job details in message, should they be added in this contract or in a new contract.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mohamed:
If the client wants something done that was NOT part of the original task description, the client needs to set that up using a separate milestone or a separate contract.

Here is an example:

Client: "Mohamed, I know that I hired you to draw a picture of three cats and a dog. But I would like to change that to be three cats and a bird."

Mohamed: "Okay, I have already finished drawing three cats, and I am half-finished drawing a dog. You can close the contract and create a new contract to draw the bird for $100."

Client: "Thank you. I closed the contract and released all of the escrow money to you. I will now create a new fixed-price contract for you to draw the bird, for $100."

[Alternatively, it is possible for the client to create a new milestone within the existing contract. But if I was the client, and the freelancer asked me to create a new, separate contract, I would definitely be willing to do that. There is NO ADDITIONAL COST to the client when creating a new contract versus a new milestone.]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mohamed:
If the client wants something done that was NOT part of the original task description, the client needs to set that up using a separate milestone or a separate contract.

Here is an example:

Client: "Mohamed, I know that I hired you to draw a picture of three cats and a dog. But I would like to change that to be three cats and a bird."

Mohamed: "Okay, I have already finished drawing three cats, and I am half-finished drawing a dog. You can close the contract and create a new contract to draw the bird for $100."

Client: "Thank you. I closed the contract and released all of the escrow money to you. I will now create a new fixed-price contract for you to draw the bird, for $100."

[Alternatively, it is possible for the client to create a new milestone within the existing contract. But if I was the client, and the freelancer asked me to create a new, separate contract, I would definitely be willing to do that. There is NO ADDITIONAL COST to the client when creating a new contract versus a new milestone.]

Preston H wrote:

Mohamed:

Here is an example:

@Preston H,

Hi,

thanks for the prompt and very well explained answer.

I very much appreciate that you took the time for answering my question.

I am not a complaining guy by nature, but this will hopfully be of use for any freelancer.

A month ago I was asked to create a web page builder with specific features, after accepting the invite , the client accepted my proposal.

Then in messages the client ask to make a clone of website builder, which I respond that it will not be 100% clone and he was ok with it.

After a month, I submitted and installed the app on his hosting, the client congratulates me for a good job.

After 3 submissions, bug corrections and adding some UX features, the client now wanted a 100% clone of the website builder with ultimatum for one week to provide the new web app.

He is now filing a dispute against me for refund as it was a fixed price job with escrow.

But I will stand my ground because it is a question of principles: I did a job, submitted the files with sources codes and extras and I was congratulated and now I am treated like I tried to fool him.

Thanks again.

Mohamed:
I am sorry that you are facing this situation. The client behavior you describe is completely unprofessional and inappropriate. The client acts like he is Aladdin and that you are are a genie who must do his bidding. Except in the tale of Aladdin, the genie granted only THREE wishes. This client appears to want unlimited wishes, without paying you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths