cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sculpting my cover letters???

ronc0011
Ron C Member Since: Jan 17, 2015
1 of 14

I'm reading various reviews and write-ups on preparing Proposal Cover letters.

one of these articles suggest linking to my profile or examples of my work early in the cover letter. 

I guess the idea is to capture the clients attention early in the process.

Anyway... It has me wondering how best to accomplish this or if in fact it's even a practical thing to do since my profile is directly linked to my name/account. Won't my profile be readily available to anyone looking at my proposal?

I mean I can understand what the guy is getting at; directing the clients attention early to examples of my work. Thus capturing their interest.

So I guess the question is: " Can I put a link to my profile in the body of my cover letter or can I embed example of work I've done in the body of my cover letter?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 14

The trick is not making them look at your profile. They have 50+ proposals to go through. It's why I think the proposal is more important than the profile.

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
3 of 14

It's best to give the client what they want on a silver platter, that is, don't make them specifically look you up. Instead, paste a URL to your profile in your proposal. Lazy clients want everything on a silver platter. Your proposal guides them (ideally) about what to do/read. Most clients like that.

I also share URLs to my online portfolios and other design work I have. I don't need them to look at my profile, but I've customized it enough so that, if they do look, they'd like what they see/read. Hopefully 🙂 So, I personally share my profile URL in my proposals.

I haven't read any suggestions on writing proposals. I'm testing my ideas on my own. Trial and error.

But since you're a graphic designer, sharing more URLs related to your design work should be perfectly fine. In general, there's no need to have the client visit your Upwork profile.

The reason why I do it is because I've been working on it for some time and am pretty happy with it for the time being. It's working the way I want it to. So, I don't mind directing the client to it.

Otherwise, you don't really need to do it. No one needs to do it. Especially on Upwork.

ronc0011
Ron C Member Since: Jan 17, 2015
4 of 14

I want to thank both Evelina and Jennifer for your replies to my question. You were most helpfull.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 14

Ron,

Just be aware that it against TOS to post links that take a client to anything that contains  personal information/contact information.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 14

Virginia: It's only against ToS to post contact info in your public profile. You can share it in your proposals though.

Ron: as a client, I have found it frustrating that from a proposal there's no way to directly access a freelancer's full profile. I have to either message them (and can then access it from the messages system) or save the profile and then access it from my saved freelancers list. So, if you're including a link to your Upwork profile in your proposal, that's going to save your potential clients a step, if they do want to see yours.

(To be clear, most of the freelancer's information is displayed on their proposal. The biggest annoyance for me is that I can't see their profile hourly rate, only their proposed hourly rate for the job (or proposed bid for a fixed price job). I like to know this information so I can see how they "usually" value themselves.)

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 14

I'm referring to links that take a client directly to a personal website/Behance/FB, that sort of thing, not emails or phone numbers.

It's interesting to learn about what the client sees (or not). I was under the impression that clients automatically  connected to our profiles upon accessing our bids - I guess I'll be including a link from now on!

Thanks for that info.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
8 of 14

“I guess I'll be including a link from now on!”

I too.

"Certa bonum certamen"
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 14

@Virginia F wrote:

I'm referring to links that take a client directly to a personal website/Behance/FB, that sort of thing, not emails or phone numbers.

It's interesting to learn about what the client sees (or not). I was under the impression that clients automatically  connected to our profiles upon accessing our bids - I guess I'll be including a link from now on!

Thanks for that info.

Virginia, those things are allowed in proposals and subsequent messages. It is only the profiel page that cannot contain that information. 

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
10 of 14

“As a client, I have found it frustrating that from a proposal there's no way to directly access a freelancer's full profile.”

“I can't see their profile hourly rate, only their proposed hourly rate for the job.”

That does pose a problem.

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS