cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Sucks

Amit S Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
1 of 8

Dear Upwork,

I have been using oDesk for over 4 years now and have never been as disappointed as I am today.

I feel either the quality of the projects is going down or I am not able to search for any good Projects.

I found that searching a project has become **edited for Community Guidelines**
When I enter any search keyword in the "Search box" it returns many gibberish results. Honestly, I feel like moving to different Freelancing sites nowadays who offers personalized project search and do setup one-on-one interviews with clients.

Nowadays, I use Google search with upwork.com to find projects. (That's a handy workaround!)

Major issues (according to me):
1. Search box seems to be broken or something is missing. I am not finding projects at all. Eg: Android, Custom ROM, Bluetooth Android used to return good results earlier. But nowadays, results are crappy or not suited my profile.
2. Number of job invitations has gone down. I might blame myself for this for being active. However, the main reason for not being active here is am not finding good work.

I am sure many developers will have similar kind of story.

PS: It will be great if someone can help me doing proper search or am I overlooking something.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 8

I searched and the first 4 jobs were good jobs fitting your criteria. Are you sure you are using all the features of the search function? Open the image in a new window for alarger size.

Android.jpg

Reo Y Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 8

This is what happened with my job search, is it similar with your problem..?

Please notice that all is written zero (0) on every subcategories.

I only can browse for the job in My Job Feed page (https://www.upwork.com/find-work-home/).

I hope this problem fixed soon.

Search.JPG

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Reo,

I checked and I see what you mean. I will check with our engineers regarding this issue. I still suggest you submit a ticket to the Customer Support so we can follow up with you more efficiently.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Stephen B Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
5 of 8

Search does indeed suck! Or maybe there is a settings control I am not aware of. Anyway this is the problem -

Ok I am on the Find Jobs page but I want to use the check box facility to filter out stuff I am not interested in. 

It works the first time, in other words it loads fine, but the problem is if I click on a job to look at it then use the back button (wanting to return to my original search criteria) it changes all the check boxes!

Driving me nuts!

Community Guru
6 of 8

@Stephen B wrote:

Search does indeed suck! Or maybe there is a settings control I am not aware of. Anyway this is the problem -

Ok I am on the Find Jobs page but I want to use the check box facility to filter out stuff I am not interested in. 

It works the first time, in other words it loads fine, but the problem is if I click on a job to look at it then use the back button (wanting to return to my original search criteria) it changes all the check boxes!

Driving me nuts!

Easy solution.

When you have the list finalized and want to open a job

Hold the CONTROL key down and CLICK on the job title.

It will then open in a new window thereby leaving your original search in tact. 

Ace Contributor
Scott D Member Since: Aug 6, 2015
7 of 8

No it is not you!

I've been working on the Elance platform since 2008 and since rolling over to UpWork in August 2016 it as been not the same:

Major issues:
1. Search box seems to be broken or something is missing. I am not finding projects at all. Eg: Android, Custom ROM, Bluetooth Android used to return good results earlier. But nowadays, results are crappy or not suited my profile.

2. Number of job invitations has gone down. I do get invites, but 90% of them do not hire anyone.

3. The jobs are at a lower rate then Elance

4. UpWork takes 10% where on Elance was taking 8.75

I have more, but I really feel that the higher up on UpWork are not listening so I can't waste my time as I need to work. I am working on other platforms and my clients from Elance are working with me off the UpWork platform.

Scott

Community Guru
8 of 8

@Scott DS Y. wrote:

No it is not you!

I've been working on the Elance platform since 2008 and since rolling over to UpWork in August 2016 it as been not the same:

Major issues:

I have no problems using the Advanced Search and finding those type of jobs so maybe your search skills need some updating for this advanced platform?

2. Number of job invitations has gone down. I do get invites, but 90% of them do not hire anyone.

The invites went down due to the large number of Elance people who moved over to this platform. Unfortunately, the clients didn't move the way the freelancers did. Given that so many disparaging remarks were made in the Water Cooler, about the Upwork platform and Odesk it's not surprising..

3. The jobs are at a lower rate then Elance

I don't find this at all. There are thousands of high paying jobs if you know how to search properly.

4. UpWork takes 10% where on Elance was taking 8.75

No one forces anyone to pay 10%. Since this is not Elance and considering the large losses experienced by Elance I see no problem with 10%. I assume there are other sites that charge less...NOT!!

I have more, but I really feel that the higher up on UpWork are not listening so I can't waste my time as I need to work. I am working on other platforms and my clients from Elance are working with me off the UpWork platform.

Wise decision.

Scott

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS