🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Second chance given by client after closing t...
Page options
niraj_airan
Community Member

Second chance given by client after closing the contract

One of my clients recently closed the contract because of my mistakes. Now, I convinced him that I can do the work and he is ready to give me another chance. I know that a closed contract can't be reopened. 

But, I also know that my client has obviously given me a very low rating while ending the contract. He must have mentioned a reason other than completion of the job while ending the contract. He also asked for a refund.

Now, even if I successfully completed his job, I am not sure how it is going to affect my JSS. I can ask him to change his feedback and ratings. But, what about the reason to end the contract and refund request. I am not sure how to handle them.

Please help. 

8 REPLIES 8
a_lipsey
Community Member

Neeraj A wrote:

One of my clients recently closed the contract because of my mistakes. Now, I convinced him that I can do the work and he is ready to give me another chance. I know that a closed contract can't be reopened. 

But, I also know that my client has obviously given me a very low rating while ending the contract. He must have mentioned a reason other than completion of the job while ending the contract. He also asked for a refund.

Now, even if I successfully completed his job, I am not sure how it is going to affect my JSS. I can ask him to change his feedback and ratings. But, what about the reason to end the contract and refund request. I am not sure how to handle them.

Please help. 

Do not take another job with this client who already asked you to refund his money.  

Was the job hourly or fixed price? You are going to get bad private feedback no matter what, it seems.  If this was hourly and you used the time tracker properly, then I would simply end the contract, refuse the refund request, and walk away. If this is fixed price, in which they can take you to arbitration,  then  it  may be in your best interest to work out a partial or full refund.  

Do not work for this client again.  They have already been disatisfied with your work, and they will likely continue to be disatisfied. You will have two bad outcomes instead of one. Thank them for their offer for a new contract but decline. 

As far as the refund, is it hourly or fixed, and if hourly did you use the time tracker with meaningful memos?

I would also advise you that doing a student's homework or test problems for them is academic fraud and a violation of Upwork's TOS.  You have a number of jobs on your profile that request this kind of work. 

Thank you for your reply, Amanda.

It was a fixed-price contract. And, I also don't want to take another offer from this client. Previously, he ended the contract without seeing my work. He was upset about late replies. Now, I have shown him a video of my work and he is impressed and wants to pay me for my work. Do you know whether clients can revoke their refund request or not?

And, I know clients can't change their private feedback. But, if I will send him the work, at least he will change the public feedback.

Should I send him the work and do a request for revoking the refund request and changing the public feedback?

Thank you for making me aware of the Upwork's TOS related to homework. I didn't know about that. I will make sure that I flag these types of jobs as inappropriate in the future.

Neeraj A wrote:

Thank you for your reply, Amanda.

It was a fixed-price contract. And, I also don't want to take another offer from this client. Previously, he ended the contract without seeing my work. He was upset about late replies. Now, I have shown him a video of my work and he is impressed and wants to pay me for my work. Do you know whether clients can revoke their refund request or not?

And, I know clients can't change their private feedback. But, if I will send him the work, at least he will change the public feedback.

Should I send him the work and do a request for revoking the refund request and changing the public feedback?

Thank you for making me aware of the Upwork's TOS related to homework. I didn't know about that. I will make sure that I flag these types of jobs as inappropriate in the future.

Refund requests are just requests, they hold no requirement for you to do anything. You can send him your work, and let him edit his review.

Hello Viacheslav, thank you for your reply.

It is showing that I have 7 days to respond to a refund request. As per my research, if I file for a dispute and my client accepts it then I think funds will automatically be credited to my account. And, if I don't respond to a refund request then funds will revert back to my client's account. Please see the first answer to this question:-

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/How-to-refuse-a-refund-request-from-client/td-p/491329

Please let me know, should I file for a dispute and request my client to accept it. Or, I should ignore this request (ignoring the request doesn't look like a genuine solution as per my understanding).

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Neeraj A wrote:

Please help. 

He would have given you private feedback when he ended the contract, and clients can't change this even if they want to (this is to prevent freelancers from pestering their clients about it). I agree with Amanda that you shouldn't enter into another contract with an unhappy client. 

resultsassoc
Community Member

Neeraj,

I am a client. JSS scores are meaningless to me. I rarely read feedback, especially perfect ratings. They are meaningless. A client can just get it off his plate and feel good by clicking 5.0 and leaving no narrative. A 4.4 with a narrative means to me the client took the time to think and leave a good review. Those matter to me.

Do what you want about future work. And stop feeling like a serf. You're a business owner. Talk and act like one.

Thank you, Bill.

I never got a feeling that I am caring too much about my JSS, client's ratings, and top-rated status. Now I am realizing that client satisfaction is far more important than these numbers.

I will appreciate constructive feedback from my clients in the future.

Thanks for making me realize this.

tlbp
Community Member

Neeraj A wrote:

Please help. 

If I made the client so unhappy that they closed the contract, I'd probably give them their money back. I might even offer to give them the work I'd done so that their project wouldn't be delayed, depending on how much time and $ was involved.

Once the contract is closed, the feedback is finished. Your JSS will pay the price for the problems with the client regardless of whether he forgives you now. So do what you think is correct from a moral and ethical standpoint. Did you cause the client so much trouble that he deserves to not pay you? Or, was he just impatient? You'll have to decide that for yourself.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members