cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secret profile photo rules

Kevin F Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
1 of 28

I've been helping a buddy create his Upwork profile. We set him up in good lighting and took some high-quality photos to create his profile photo from.

We selected a photograph of him wearing sunglasses, cropped it and made minor corrections, and then uploaded it for him to use. And the photo gets automatically rejected because he's wearing sunglasses.

There is no Upwork policy about profile photos. Nowhere does it say that you are not allowed to use a photograph with sunglasses. As a result, a lot of time and effort was wasted.

It is not okay for Upwork to use secret profile photo restrictions that are never described to the user. Any policies that Upwork follows regarding profile photos need to be clearly stated in the User Agreement; otherwise it is arbitrary and unfair to reject profile photographs for not complying with secret rules.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 28

Nowhere does it say you're not allowed to wear a giant hat shaped like a **bleep** either, but I'm pretty sure the image would get rejected if you did. Although I agree that a profile image policy would be a good idea. 

But anyway, why would somebody want a profile image with sunglasses on? Facebook, Twitter or Tinder, sure thing... but Upwork, Linkedin etc... not so much.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Katriona K Member Since: Sep 23, 2016
3 of 28

On LinkedIn it's not mandatory that you have a photo. They don't forbid you from finishing your profile if you don't have a photo. Upwork shouldn't, either. It's a security risk for some people and it's simply not necessary in order to do proficient work. I don't see clients being forced to have photos of themselves, and why is that? Shouldn't Freelancers be given the opportunity to practice racism, sexism, and stalk people on other social media?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 28

You can have no photo if you want.

5 of 28

How is that possible when I'm not allowed to make my profile active unless I upload a photo? I don't understand at all. Please explain in detail.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 28

We all have to follow the rules.  The photo you have now won't be approved either. You agreed to the TOS of the site when you signed up. Whether you agree or not it is a part of getting your profile approved. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
7 of 28

My point is that this isn't a written rule. It's a secret rule. You can't find out about it until you submit a photo.

The photo I have now won't be approved? How would I have it if it wasn't approved? It was approved two years ago, and nobody's ever told me it looks unprofessional. And I'm not wearing sunglasses, I'm wearing regular glasses with Transition lenses.

I amn not sure how the quote about fairness is relevant. What does one do to earn or deserve the right to wear sunglasses (or to lose that right)?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 28

That quote about fairness is my signature on my posts here in the forums. It has nothing to do with your sunglasses. And yes two years ago profiles were not approved. Now they are and when new people register they can't get approval without following the guidelines.  

And just an FYI, if someone ever reports your photo you will have to remove the sunglasses or be suspended. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
9 of 28

I'm not wearing sunglasses. I'm wearing regular glasses with transition lenses. Regular glasses are allowed and in fact many of the people posting in this thread are wearing them.

10 of 28

I had a seperate issue with the photo and submitted a feedback. This is the response I recieved:

"Hi Katriona,

Your profile picture has to be a real photo of yourself and by agreeing to Upwork ToS you agree to not misrepresent any information about yourself in your profile.

Check out this article for more tips on choosing a profile picture.

~ Valeria"

Under these circumstances, if you were to remove your glasses when in actuality you constantly wear them it would be a misrepresentation of yourself. So according to the above information which is here (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Photo-vs-No-Photo/td-p/169937), you definitely need to be wearing your prescription lenses. That is my understanding.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS