🐈 Community
ack081012

Security Paid To Client

Hey, Guys! 

I am new here and my first potential client requires a security payment. I can understand why a client could ask for a security payment, it is an ongoing project and the client could end up behind, having to re-post if a freelancer accepts the project and does not complete it. Since this is my first project here, and the client has no reviews because he is also new I just wanted to make sure this is a normal thing here at Upwork. 

9 REPLIES 9
katrinabeaver

Absolutely not, not normal at all.  Please report this client asap.  You should never have to pay money to any client to start working.  Good job coming here first. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Thank you very much for your feedback, I will report right away. 

lysis10

"I can understand why a client could ask for a security payment"

LOL You're gonna get so taken for a ride on here. 

mariawicz5

I can't think of one reason a freelancer would have to pay a client.

Just wondering, is he a Nigerian prince by any chance?

It isn't necessarily a scam - I don't know if it still does, but Rentacoder amongst other sites used to demand a security deposit. It's possible the client has ended up here via a site like that.

This is not Rentacoder.

If they require a security deposit to have an account there, that is different from a client requiring a security deposit to work for them.

If a client asks for a security deposit before working for them, it is a scam. It is also expressly forbidden by Upwork Client TOS.

A client caught doing something like this on Upwork will most likely have their account suspended or terminated. Not that this matters to the scammers who set up innumerable fake accounts continually.

> This is not Rentacoder.

I'm aware of that. I was explaining a possible reason for the suggestion.

> If they require a security deposit to have an account there, that is different from a client requiring a security deposit to work for them.

I didn't mention a security deposit for holding an account. I was referring to the practice of requiring a freelancer to pay a good-faith deposit before beginning work on a project, much like the OP described.

> If a client asks for a security deposit before working for them, it is a scam.

Right. Because there is never a possibility of someone making an error or thinking what is common practice on another site they've worked on could apply here.

It might be a scam. It's likely to be a scam. But I don't own the same crystal ball as you do, so couldn't say so with certainty.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tiffany,

You should never pay in order to qualify for or win a job. Please follow the advice other users shared and report this client to Customer Support.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork's Trust & Safety FAQ.

Untitled
Learning Paths