cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security period too long!

priyanga777
Pushpika P Member Since: Oct 21, 2013
1 of 10
Odesk is taking too long to confirm the pending earning, which is six days, it is too long and other sites like Elance is very much faster than Odesk. Odesk has to be able to pass the pending earnings as soon as possible, otherwise it takes too long to retrieve the money, and because it charges 30 dollars for wire transfer in Sri lanka, it has to go via two routes to get into our hand, which takes loads of time and also interest rates reduce the final amount.
robert_seal
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
2 of 10
Go to Elance then? oDesk doesn't hold your money back from you for fun, there is a reason for it. It's quite annoying to see posts on a near-daily basis suggesting that other freelance websites are better in one way or another. If this is indeed true, then why are you here wasting your time? Accept the terms that were in place before you registered here or seek contracts elsewhere.
priyanga777
Pushpika P Member Since: Oct 21, 2013
3 of 10
I am using both, and I earn from both, I even use freelancer, Elance is also safe and faster, why isn't Odesk that's my problem? Why can one site or agency do it and the other not?
ninond
Ninon D Member Since: Apr 25, 2013
4 of 10
I have clients outside of the freelancer's portals and it is customary to have net 30, 60, and even 90 days payment after remittance of project. Believe me, in the grand scheme of things, 6 days is nothing.
afaaq_hussain
Afaaq H Member Since: Nov 14, 2013
5 of 10
Its a true fact that oDesk take too long security time frame and it is not only six day's these are 8 day's of security 6 day of oDesk and 2 holidays.The freelancers how have small pack of earnings have to wait for 8 days and if it is hourly client then the next week earnings go's to next. 1 week earnings jump to 8 days and so on. oDesk must have to reduce this time frame in my opinion Thanks
conlinbrown
Ace Contributor
Angela C Member Since: Oct 7, 2011
6 of 10
I do agree that the security period is a bit long. 3 or 4 days is ample especially if the client has a number of jobs done previously and has been established on Odesk for a while. Especially if there are contractors out there in desperate need of their money to live on. Do they not just keep the money as this will earn them interest the longer they keep it, not sure about that.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 10
If any of you were working in the bricks and mortar world you would probably be spending a proportion of the month chasing up unpaid bills, and 30 days credit is quite standard. really, six days is not a long time
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 10
I have a client that pays once a month, at the end of the next month, so I won't get paid until the end of March for work I have done in February. And this is a large organization, where I can trust that I will get paid and don't have to chase anyone. I've worked for companies where the standard for paying invoices was 90 days. If you worked for an employer, you might get paid once - or if you were lucky, twice - a month. Considering the international nature of oDesk, I think ensuring security is more important than rushing to pay freelancers.
f918f891
Tony S Member Since: May 30, 2016
9 of 10

and when you are paying for expenses this delays the project because the freelancer needs to wait for the money to pass... just give the money to the freelancer straight away so we can get on with our projects.... 😞

rizolaguer
Riza O Member Since: Dec 24, 2014
10 of 10

I appreciate the system and how it serves to protect both client and contractor (although I think Upwork tends to favor clients a bit more). However, I think it is feasible to shorten the security period. I mean, for my fixed rate projects, I receive the payment faster especially if the milestone were approved before a Friday. According to Upwork's explanation, the 5-day security period for the hourly payments provides time for settling disputes. If neither the contractor or client has a complaint, I think it makes sense to cut short the security period. Then again, Upwork may have a schedule that they follow. Not sure... But the thing is, if there's a will, I believe there's a way. I seriously believe there's a smarter way to go about this and I hope Upwork would consider figuring that out.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS