🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Seek advice on client negotiations
Page options
ilannamandel
Community Member

Seek advice on client negotiations

Hi All;

I'm usually pretty calm with client negotiations, but right now two possible clients are acting a bit odd. 

1. The first one is a company in the UK. I've signed the NDA. We've had a phone discussion. He's offered me the work. But, he won't send through a formal offer in Upwork. And, he keeps promising to send the work so I can start, but doesn't do so. He keeps using how busy he is as the reason for this. I understand busy, but either he wants the work or he doesn't. 

2. The second one is a professor in the US who wants to do an anti-bullying program. She has declared me perfect for the role, but keeps haggling on the price. I've offered her many options, and she keeps saying she'll only deal with a fixed amount. I've tried repeatedly to tell her the cost, but she keeps asking again what it will cost in a fixed amount. Until I know exactly how much work the project is, I can't give her that. 

Thoughts? Advice? Ideas? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
versailles
Community Member

1) Thank you John and don't worry, take your time. As soon as you hire me through Upwork, I'll be notified and I'll start.

2) I understand your concerns Markus. While I cannot estimate the price because the final scope of the work is not clear at this time, what I can suggest is this and this. Take your time to think it through, I'll know that you are ready to start once Upwork notifies me that you have initiated a hourly offer at my rate.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
tlsanders
Community Member

# 1 doesn't sound like an issue to me. He knows what you need to take the next step (or not). He hasn't provided it. I'd just go on with my life and let him come back or not, and then see whether you have time and are still interested.

# 2 sounds like she might be difficult to work with even if you are able to resolve this, so factor that in. If there is specific additional information you need to set a fixed price, ask her for it (assuming you want to move forward). If you don't know, that raises a separate question: is that because she hasn't provided adequate information, or because you don't have sufficient expertise with the type of project she's proposing? You could provide a fixed price with a scope of your own creation (word count or number of slides or number of chapters at xxx-yyy words each or whatever is applicable to your situation with one round of revisions) and then specify that any additional (whatevers) will be at an additional cost. But, your ability to do that effectively is going to depend on a combination of adequate information and experience with this type of project.

Those are all good points. The second one seems very flighty. Something feels off, but I can't put my finger on it. I know she's a professor of Education somewhere but I can't find her on Google. She has good reviews from past clients, but I also know her last contract ended in a legal struggle. She claims she doesn't really have the money to pay a lot, but she wants a ton of work. Perhaps a very nice person, but with unrealistic expectations? 

re: "She has good reviews from past clients, but I also know her last contract ended in a legal struggle..."

if you are the client, and you have a contract that ends in a legal struggle... Then you are the problem.

Clients can fire freelancers at any time. Clients do not need to have a "legal struggle."

I don't know what happened in that situation, but most of the time when I hear those words, I assume that the client was up to no good, or didn't know how to manage a project.

For example:

Wise client: "This freelancer's work is terrible. I'm going to fire her and hire somebody else."

Unwise client: "This freelancer's work is terrible. Why didn't I check her work during the past year while she worked on this project? Now I'm going to try to sue her."

...and that's not even mentioning clients who just try to avoid paying the freelancers they hire.

I have stated many times my opinion: I think the overwhelming majority of Upwork clients are wonderful people and wondeful clients.

But clients who have "legal trouble" with freelancers? Definitely something to avoid.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Move on from Client 1. Check back in week and ask if he's got any further questions or comments regarding your proposal. If he does, great. If he doesn't, don't waste any more time chasing him.

Client 2. is also not worth much more of your time. Your price is your price. If you genuinely won't do the project for a fixed price below the price you've quoted, thank her for considering your proposal and wish her luck finding the right freelancer. Don't be sarcastic; be professional. Then never give her another thought.

versailles
Community Member

1) Thank you John and don't worry, take your time. As soon as you hire me through Upwork, I'll be notified and I'll start.

2) I understand your concerns Markus. While I cannot estimate the price because the final scope of the work is not clear at this time, what I can suggest is this and this. Take your time to think it through, I'll know that you are ready to start once Upwork notifies me that you have initiated a hourly offer at my rate.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
resultsassoc
Community Member

1. First case is a client you don't want.

2. Second case is one where you submit a proposal with a firm statement of work for a firm fixed price. Anything outside the SOW will be billed at $xxx/hr, or through a modification to the existing agreement. All work to that point will be paid for before starting new work. If client rejects that, wish her well and block her.

tlbp
Community Member

#1. No contract, already wasted enough of your time. Consider this a dead lead and ignore him. If he returns weeks from now, immediately issues a contract and provides you with everything you need to get started, you can fit him into your schedule. 

#2. This will not end well. She wants the work cheap with no limit on the scope. Not a professional and will unsatisfied with your work (unless you work endlessly for pennies.) End negotiations. 

Why would he have me sign an NDA,  and call me from the UK and send me the proprietary information, plus the sections he wants me to work on? This is all highly confidential information. Doesn't make sense to me. 

ILANNA M wrote:

Why would he have me sign an NDA,  and call me from the UK and send me the proprietary information, plus the sections he wants me to work on? This is all highly confidential information. Doesn't make sense to me. 

It doesn't matter. Until he's ready to move forward and create a contract, he's not a client. You won't get paid for any work you do. So, you can sit around and wait for him to be ready to pay you or you can move on to the next client who is ready to pay you. 

re: "Why would he have me sign an NDA, and call me from the UK and send me the proprietary information?"

I could send you an NDA and I could send you all kinds of propriety information. It doesn't make me a real client. Or a good client.

The good news is he offered the job today. 

re: "The good news is he offered the job today."

That's cool.

Thanks for letting us know!

Thanks to you and everyone on this issue. It seems two more might be in the pike. I'm doing a paid sample today. But the second client I alluded to has disappeared. I don't expect to hear from them again. If I do, it's likely to cry on my shoulder about how they can't afford me. Best wishes to all. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths