🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Seeking Mentorship from Seasoned Upwork Conte...
Page options
6c5d2266
Community Member

Seeking Mentorship from Seasoned Upwork Content Writers

Hello Experienced Content writers!

My name is Asghar Ali (Aamir Asghar), and I'm an MA English graduate from the University of Sydney, Australia, currently working as a content writer on Upwork. I've been on the platform for over a year now, diligently honing my craft and seeking to grow my freelance career.

While I've earned some income during this time, it hasn't met my desired level. Unfortunately, reaching out to Upwork support hasn't proven helpful; the generic guides they provide haven't yielded the necessary results.

Moreover, while I've earned some income, it hasn't even covered the investment I've made in Connects. My proposals rarely get noticed, and invitations are nonexistent. I've poured through Upwork guides and reached out to support, but their generic advice hasn't been effective.

That's why I'm turning to you, the experienced content writers on this platform. I greatly admire your success and believe your insights could be invaluable.

Specifically, I'm struggling with:

• Limited visibility: My proposals rarely get opens or invitations.
  • Low earning potential: Despite investing Connects and striving for quality, income hasn't reached my goals.

My question is: should I consider moving to another platform, or is there still potential for growth and success on Upwork?

I'm dedicated to improving and open to candid feedback. Any advice or guidance you can share on profile optimization, proposal strategies, or niche targeting would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your valuable insights!

Sincerely,

3 REPLIES 3
yofazza
Community Member

I'm no content writer but I freelanced independently for around 2 decades. I joined Upwork's predecessor in around 2009.

Upwork's vision has shifted from providing a high-quality freelancing marketplace to "let's milk the enormous number of our member base", which is understandable because the former hasn't given them profit for nearly a decade, while the latter finally provides them with a monthly net profit.

Don't get caught in the game.

should I consider moving to another platform, or is there still potential for growth and success on Upwork?

You should never depend on a third party, but you also don't need to get overly mad and ban a platform. Just make sure not to get caught in the game. See if you can still join the game while making a reasonable profit or so.

As for me, I currently don't buy connects

6c5d2266
Community Member

I didn't get your exact point. 

yofazza
Community Member

My question is: should I consider moving to another platform, or is there still potential for growth and success on Upwork?

You should not depend on a single platform. But, there's no need to move away from a platform entirely, unless you consider them a scammer. Just make sure you can profit from such platform, not just being "milked" by them.

If you spend $100 for connects, make sure you can get more, and it's worth it, when you get a job. Don't spend $100, spend hours to create proposals, while only getting a single $150 job. Something like that.

In the post I linked in my previous post, Samer mentioned that he gets 10 jobs out of 1000 proposals. Let's assume he spends 12 connects for each proposal, meaning he spends $1,800 on connects. That's okay if he earn around $1,000 on each of his jobs.

If you feel you don't want to take the risk, don't.

Some people can still profit here, some others are just being milked, and others are either leave or just observing the situation. Your choice.

Specifically, I'm struggling with:
  • Limited visibility: My proposals rarely get opens or invitations.
  • Low earning potential: Despite investing Connects and striving for quality, income hasn't reached my goals.

You should spend more time reading some more threads in the forum. You'll realize that you're not the only one having problems.

My earlier response was like a general answer to many technical/smaller problems here. It's Upwork's doing, don't get caught in their game.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members