🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Seeking advice for bidding/withdrawing
Page options
pwlipka
Community Member

Seeking advice for bidding/withdrawing

Hello, 

I recently took the plunge to freelance full time! I had one Upwork job completed. Afterwards I had a large contract that was directly with my client. It is about complete, and now I'm back in the swing of bidding on jobs. Would like some advice from some users with more experience with the site on when to pull a bid, and if it is even worth bidding on a job that is X amount of days old. I get the feeling sometimes that there are just stagnant jobs posted and the client hasn't removed them. Bids are pretty cheap, but it seems that it could become a pretty large waste of time. Any feedback would be awesome.

Thanks

- Phil

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

When to pull a bid? Never. You won't get your connects back, and there's always a chance that the client will hire you (I've had clients come back months later and hire me), so there's no benefit in removing your bid.

I don't personally bid on projects that are more than a day old, because in my category, the client will usually have received 50 bids by then. Others who have a different niche will tell you otherwise.

As for how much time you "waste", it's pretty difficult to start any business without investing a considerable amount of effort in marketing, whether that's on Upwork or elsewhere. Whether or not you're getting a good return on your investment is something that only you can decide.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

When to pull a bid? Never. You won't get your connects back, and there's always a chance that the client will hire you (I've had clients come back months later and hire me), so there's no benefit in removing your bid.

I don't personally bid on projects that are more than a day old, because in my category, the client will usually have received 50 bids by then. Others who have a different niche will tell you otherwise.

As for how much time you "waste", it's pretty difficult to start any business without investing a considerable amount of effort in marketing, whether that's on Upwork or elsewhere. Whether or not you're getting a good return on your investment is something that only you can decide.

Thank-you for the advice Christine. I was under the impression that you did get the bids refunded. Also a valid point on the marketing. I was actually in the middle of typing up a master template for my cover letter to stream-line the process! haha. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths