Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking to understand JS Heaven/Hell situation

jackiepeeler
Community Guru
Jacqueline P Member Since: Dec 28, 2015
1 of 3

A couple of jobs after coming here I made it up to a JS of 80, and was feeling pretty good about chances of Upwork successe. (I had gone from 100% on Elance to starting here with 75%, probably because of one no feedback out of a small number of jobs total). 

Then last week JS plummeted to 70%. Shocking, I was actually expecting it to go up, as I had a new happy client who did leave feedback, but didn't see a JS rise after that.

Today, back after a week of licking my wounds and working on my website cause I figured I was screwed here, it is up to 83%! Not exactly heaven, but going in the right direction. But I want to understand what happened so hoping for answers to these questions:

Potential problem one: I have a month old contract with one part yet to be done. I had negotiated to do two ads for a certain price and completed the first, but don't have copy or any instructions for the second. I'm not sure the client is ready to do that yet. No milestones has been established for the remaing ad. The contract started Feb 2 and I completed all milestones for ad one and was paid, they messaged they were happy but it's still open so no actual feedback. Could this period of inactivity have caused the lowering of the JS? Should I "nag" client about the remaining ad? If it's not a problem yet, how long until it becomes one? 

Potential problem two: Upwork suspended another client for nonpayment, notifying me they would let me know if it was resolved. Could this client's nonpayment have lowered my JS temporarily? I never did any work for her but engaged in some email conversations trying to help her focus on what she wanted.

And finally, does anyone think now Upwork Support is clear enough on JS that one could get a useful using to questions like these using chat? 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 3

"Could this period of inactivity have caused the lowering of the JS? Should I "nag" client about the remaining ad? If it's not a problem yet, how long until it becomes one?"

Jacqueline, I don't think the above would be the cause of the JSS being lowered. I have an open contract with a client, and went for some weeks before he asked me to do more work for him. It is possible that a client has left less favourable feedback privately. It is equally possible that there is a glitch. There have been several reports of wildly plummeting JSS - and it was a bug.

I think you did best by coming here, rather than taking the problem to CS, because I'm pretty sure they would only give you a very irritating and generic response. It would be good though if a mod picked up on this and added some sort of explanation. 

Edited to ask: Were you not paid for the first ad?   

jackiepeeler
Community Guru
Jacqueline P Member Since: Dec 28, 2015
3 of 3

Thanks, Nicola. That's what I thought, re asking CS. Probably was a glitch.

Yes, I got paid for the first ad. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS