🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Seems legit but says they have paid an "opt-o...
Page options
bajanoel
Community Member

Seems legit but says they have paid an "opt-out" fee?

Hey, there.  I've seen a couple threads on this topic, however upon looking at Upwork's FAQ, they do have a "conversion fee" which used to be an opt-out fee.

So, I did an online chat interview for a remote proofreader position with Medscape.  They have offered me a job.  However, they said they paid an opt out fee.  

I looked at Medscape's website and one name on the editorial staff is listed.  Another person whom I supposedly spoke with is on LinkedIn.  

I have emailed the person on the editorial staff to see if this is legitamite.  I'm waiting to hopefully hear back.

Just wondering if all "opt-out" situations are scams?

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Not "legit."

These "paid an opt-out fee" people are just scammers who are trying to steal money from your bank account.

There is such a thing as an "opt-out fee."
This is NOT used in any situation remotely related to you or other brand new freelancers receiving invites from strangers.

The position wasn't with a real company and you weren't talking to anyone on their editorial staff. Scammers use these names to help them seem legitimate. (And yes, if a client tells you that they've paid an expensive fee in order to work with you - a brand new freelancer that they've never worked with before - then they're definitely scammers.)

Also note that it's against Upwork's terms of service for you to have agreed to an interview off of the platform and for you to exchange contact information with a client prior to being hired. If you stick to this rule and insist on talking via the Upwork calling system, instead of going on Skype or Telegram or whatever, then this type of scammer won't waste any more of your time. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members