Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Seen this often

paperdog
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 25

I have noticed more frequent job postings where the descriptions are brief and always end like this:

"This job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details."

DO legitimate clients really post serious jobs like that?   (They must do business out of a traveling car... or maybe they want to impress an entourage?)  

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 25

@Grant C wrote:

I have noticed more frequent job postings where the descriptions are brief and always end like this:

"This job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details."

DO legitimate clients really post serious jobs like that?   (They must do business out of a traveling car... or maybe they want to impress an entourage?)  


Big thread right here about this (and multiple search results right here via the SEARCH bar):

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-This-job-was-posted-from-a-mobile-device-so-please-...

 

 

 

paperdog
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
3 of 25

Thanks guru Pandora.   ... but not really helpful.  Have you actually checked the solution on that thread?  ANd it certainly doesnt bear the same interesting discussion that this one seems to have sparked. 

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
Stephanie L Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
4 of 25

It's not the client. It's Upwork. Some kind of auto-script for mobile posters. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 25

@Stephanie L wrote:

It's not the client. It's Upwork. Some kind of auto-script for mobile posters. 


 But, it's the client (often--some clients do better) posting a one-sentence job description.

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
Stephanie L Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
6 of 25

I was simply speaking to the end-note "this job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details."  This is absolutely a script. 

 

As for 'one sentence job descriptions', that's not what he said. He just said brief. One man's “brief” is another man’s novel. As a writer, I tend to expect that my clients lack writing skills. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be posting for help in my category. Our job postings in writing tend to be succinct so I don't necessarily view them as a red flag. More like a cry for help Smiley Happy 

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
7 of 25

@Stephanie L wrote:

I was simply speaking to the end-note "this job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details."  This is absolutely a script. 

 

As for 'one sentence job descriptions', that's not what he said. He just said brief. One man's “brief” is another man’s novel. As a writer, I tend to expect that my clients lack writing skills. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be posting for help in my category. Our job postings in writing tend to be succinct so I don't necessarily view them as a red flag. More like a cry for help Smiley Happy 


This is how I feel about it, too.

 

I could probably easily change my own oil. I know where to buy an oil pan. I know where to buy oil. I know how to measure how high the oil is on the stick. I'm flexible, thin and can easily get underneath cars. I know how to unscrew and re-screw a...thingie. (Leftie-loosie rightie-tightie, right? Done. Give me a tool, I've got this.)

 

I don't, though. I HATE the idea of doing it. Just hate it.

 

So I hand some dude my credit card, invite him to get down to it, and I grab myself a Starbucks and read until it's all over but the shouting.

 

If my oil changer dude said "If she's so lazy she can't be arsed to even try to change her own oil, I don't want her as a client" I'm sure in very short time indeed, he'd no longer be eating. Smiley LOL I'm 99% sure he's thinking instead, "Thank God for lazy people who don't like dirty hands." The remaining 1% secretly believes he's raging inwardly at the lunacy of a physically and mentally able person not bothering to change her own oil.

 

 

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
Stephanie L Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
8 of 25

That is probably the best metaphor I've ever read to describe this situation! Smiley Happy For the most part, any freelancer with white collar skills tends to have at least some kind of writing ability -- what most people don't understand is that many get it from hiring it. I've gained many great jobs and ongoing contracts from those vague two-sentence postings from people who don't have particularly strong writing skills.  The lack of writing ability does not equal a lack of business acumen. 

 

But I will admit I don't like the Upwork auto-script for mobile. From what I can tell, it's causing more problems than it resolves.  

paperdog
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
9 of 25

Melanie, 

Great analogy on briefs & novels. (and I  totatally agree)     I cant speak to writing jobs, but with coding or technical based jobs, its an absolute must that the requirements and specs are clear.  Unfortunately, while some clients may actually articulate their needs with clarity, many dont always understand why or why not some of their requirements are feasable.   So, the more information they can provide, the more the propensity exists for a  solution, at less cost for them. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 25

That's interesting, Stephanie. I am also a writer, and I'll bypass a badly written job post every time. My take is that if the client can't articulate what he wants, it's going to be much more time consuming and frustrating to satisfy him. And, if someone can't write a decent English sentence, I definitely don't want him editing and rating my writing.

 

I love to see posts like yours because when I taught writing and led workshops for young writers, my mantra was always that you have to find what works for you--never, ever believe an experienced writer who tells you his/her way is the only way. The fact that you and I are both successful with totally opposite approaches on this issue is just one example of that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS