Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seen this often

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 25

Melanie/Stephanie: I don't think that's an apt analogy, and here's why...

When you take your car in to get the oil changed, you want your car to have fresh oil in it. If you leave with a clean air filter, the oil cap firmly in place and your car running smoothly, you're happy.

The oil change isn't your end goal--it's just how you get to your goal. This holds true across many freelancing disciplines, too. If I hire someone to create an app, I want the app to do what I asked for. I'm not going to dig into the code and make changes that break the app or rate the programmer because my totally inexperienced and unqualified view is that he should have used modules instead of a block system (those probably aren't even applicable terms).

However, writing clients who barely speak English DO judge and rate and make changes to writing based on the "code," with no more understanding than I have of Ruby on Rails (if that's still a thing).

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
Stephanie L Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
12 of 25

Ruby on the Rails is absolutely a thing. For beginning programmers. So if someone came to me, with no experience in programming whatsoever and said the same thing you just did, I'd accept the fact that maybe they didn't understand the process. Maybe they're just a beginner. Maybe Java isn't their first language and they need some help. I'd get that's why they're coming to look for help in Upwork in the first place. 

And yes, when you go to get your oil changed, having it changed is your end goal. You don't care about the process. You care about results. So you pay the money and you get results.  That's what Upwork is for. 

In the writing category, it's very common to have clients who don't know how to write. So I don't write them off. I don't have to take their work, but at the very least, I can give them a chance without writing them off because Upwork chose to tack on some nonsense disclaimer because they dared post a job from their iPhone. I check their profile, I see if the work interests me and if so, I apply. 

Also, I'm not apologizing to anyone and you clearly don't know how to work a metaphor. No wonder Upwork has a constant need for writers. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 25

Stephanie, you'll note that I said "analogy," not "metaphor"--you know, not the fuzzy, "I'm kind of creating an impression here that should instill an emotional response, even though it's not factually parallel," but a logical comparison. As a former attorney and a former teacher of logic, I have an excellent command of analogies, and really hate faulty ones.

I'm not sure why you decided that you needed to be personally insulting, but since you seem to be suggesting that my inability to grasp metaphors is the reason there's a need for writers on Upwork (there isn't--Upwork is turning away new writer applicants right and left due to the glut), it's worth noting that I'm doing quite well at triple your hourly rate. Your posted hourly rate, I mean, not the much lower one you're actually accepting.

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
14 of 25

We all do out own thing. Best of luck with yours. 

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
15 of 25

@Grant C wrote:

I have noticed more frequent job postings where the descriptions are brief and always end like this:

"This job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details."

DO legitimate clients really post serious jobs like that?   (They must do business out of a traveling car... or maybe they want to impress an entourage?)  

I was taken aback too the first time I saw this (before looking it up to discover it's automatic) but I didn't really think it meant the postings weren't legitimate. My main area is writing, and people are posting jobs because they either can't, or don't want to, write. Smiley Happy So it stands to reason that the listings may not be professional-writer caliber.

And don't forget, these people aren't necessarily companies, either. Sometimes the post is down to an individual wanting text for her personal wedding images site. These are just people. They're not necessarily pros in any arena delivered here to clients...they ARE the clients...and if they could do all this perfectly, they wouldn't need us. Smiley Happy

And by the way, the above wall of text took me all of, I don't know, probably 40, 45 seconds to write. Okay, maybe a full minute. I type FAST. On a desktop/laptop. If I were posting from my phone, with my weirdly fat Fred Flintstone thumbs, going back and correcting through my Anti-H Bomb super-duper thick plexi phone coating, hitting the same letter 10 times to get it to show up once and then having it myseriously type three of those letters anyway...God knows I'd be keeping things short on my job listing, LOL.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
16 of 25

I think that Grant C was simply wondering if REAL clients post these jobs, or are they all posted by scammy clients.

Because apparently, he thinks maybe these clients are either driving somewhere, or hoping to somehow (through the use of a phone?) impress some people? Not sure what that really means, but from a newish persons perspective, it's a valid concern.

I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons these clients use their phones to post jobs. Hopefully for neither of those reasons though.

When I see these jobs my first thought is always "Wow, you could not find the time to sit in front of a computer and send this? If your really THAT busy, I'm not interested in working for you." I never assume these are scam jobs.

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
17 of 25

@Pandora H wrote:

When I see these jobs my first thought is always "Wow, you could not find the time to sit in front of a computer and send this? If your really THAT busy, I'm not interested in working for you." I never assume these are scam jobs.

Oh gosh, I never think that.

Job security.

Thank God there are people who really, really hate to write. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
18 of 25

Gosh, what happened in here?

For the record, as someone who needs usually a full 30 days of "discovery" with clients who have 0 documentation, I have to speak to them often, initially.

I've fired clients who I warned that I would need 2-3 hours a week AT least the first 2 weeks, of their time, who then said "you mean you can't just get this data through osmosis?"

..........................Uh...no? You want my help, you gotta give me at least a few crumbs.

So that's why I would not work for those "mobile" clients.  I'm sure some of them are fine people.

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
19 of 25

For the record, I was just explaining a technical glitch in that Upwork sends out the same message for all those who post a job with under so many characters while using mobile.   

Then, everyone else had to chime in with how they were the bestest, most researched writer on the interwebs and things went downhill from there. 

When really, we all could have just said to OP "it's an upwork glitch."

essa_alroc
Ace Contributor
20 of 25

Like I already did

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS