cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selling Google Adwords accounts. Scam?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patricia B Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
1 of 10

I just recieved an invitation to a job saying that they will buy my old Google Adwords account for $500. They don't need work done, they just want to buy the account. It doesn't sound right but looking at the client job history, they have several similar jobs with good feedback.... I don't think that's even allowed in the adwords policies. I rejected, even if I was interested I don't have any old account to "sell", but it just didn't sound right.

Any ideas from adwords colleagues?  I don't know their motivation to pay money for old accounts, maybe they can access to your billing methods and steal money from your account? I don't know...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 10

I'm not an Adwords person but I'm assuming this is bogus.  It would just be like someone wanting to buy your Upwork account or your Amazon acct. etc.  I would report it to CS and see what they think about it. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 10

Yes, I have reported it, thanks.

I have been searching and it looks like there is a "Old accounts market" all over the internet. Most of them because google has banned them because of policy violation, so they need fresh accounts to keep doing their tricks...  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 10

This is exactly what they're doing.  Reporting it was the right thing to do.

@Patricia B wrote:

Yes, I have reported it, thanks.

I have been searching and it looks like there is a "Old accounts market" all over the internet. Most of them because google has banned them because of policy violation, so they need fresh accounts to keep doing their tricks...  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 10

People do it but it's really risky, because ultimately you're selling but the buyer takes on a lot of risk. You sell the account and they take it over, but remember all your billing stuff is stored in Adwords. Plus, Google has a single login now for all Google products, so you'd have to give up your password to all Google products on that account.

I had someone try to log in to my account from Jordan, and Google locked my account. Had to unlock it through text message. If the buyer is in some far east country that's on either A) their banned list or B) suspicious then the buyer loses the account and will want his money back.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 10

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for submitting a ticket to report the job. It'll be addressed by the team as soon as possible and the job will be reviewed.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 10

Thanks, I see the the job has been removed already.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pierre L Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
8 of 10

I am a Google Adwords / PPC manager and I can tell you what is likely happening here.

Adwords accounts are free so why is someone willing to pay $500? Craigslist was full of them a few months back willing to pay $50, I believe all from the same people. These are likely people who opened an account but got suspended or banned for not following policies. They still want to advertise on Google but also to not following the rules.

So I would not call it a scam, just someone that is misinformed.

I should warn you however that if you have used your account before, remove your billing information. Maybe they are hoping you will forget and run up advertising charges on your dime.

While you can change the email to the account, those who want an account to further scam Google may not do so. If you want to sell an account, you should change the email address yourself. Ask the seller what email they'd like to use.

If you sell with your email, anything they do falls on you. This means that if the account under your email is banned, you may never be able to use Adwords ever again. Even if you don't plan to ever advertise with Adwords, ever is a long time and I would not take the chance. But if you want to make a quick buck, seller beware.

Highlighted
Viktoriia C Member Since: Mar 24, 2019
9 of 10

It's not a scam. I've been selling my aged adwords accounts I don't need anymore for a couple of years already. As long as you remove all the personal information that ties you or your other active accounts to the ones you sell, there won't be any consequences. End of story. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 10

Viktoriia C wrote:

It's not a scam. I've been selling my aged adwords accounts I don't need anymore for a couple of years already. As long as you remove all the personal information that ties you or your other active accounts to the ones you sell, there won't be any consequences. End of story. Smiley Happy

lol sweet summa child

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS