cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send sources before approving a milestone

dankov
Danila K Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
1 of 8

Hi all. I am newbie on Upwork, please help me with a question. I have a fixed-price contract for creating a site. First milestone has successfully accepted and the last, second has released. I did it, but a man wants to get sources and then he will accept the payment. Should I do so?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Hi Danila, 

I checked the contract with your client and can see that the last milestone is already funded. You are protected by the Fixed-Priced Protection Program which means that you can file an escrow dispute if the client refuses to release funds for a completed milestone. Escrowed funds won’t be released back to the client unless you approve their return or undergo dispute mediation.

-Avery
Untitled

View solution in original post

dankov
3 of 8
Thank you very much. The contract has value of $20 but then appeared additional task for $15. If something is wrong, a dispute will be for $35?
vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Danila,

Have you agreed to work on a second Milestone before it was created? A dispute can be raised for the whole contract or an individual payment, depends what exactly is contested and can't be resolved by the two parties directly.

dankov
5 of 8

Yes, I agreed and it is in the contract 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

Danila:

Deliver all source files to the client.

That is what she hired you to create.

She already funded the work. Her credit card has already been charged. She is not trying to rip you off and keep the $35 that she has already been charged to pay for the work.

It is highly unlikely that she would try to get out of paying you for your work. Remember: She doesn't want the $35.00. She wants the website that you created for her.

IF she did actually to do that, and if she succeeded in NOT paying you, then the work would you did would belong to you. You could use it in your portfolio, or use it however you want to. And you would know that she can't be trusted, so you would know that you shouldn't work for her again. But that's not what is going to happen.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

For the record, I create websites for clients using fixed-price contracts.

I provide my clients with complete login credentials to the sites I create for them as soon as the contract begins. From the moment I begin working on the project, the clients can access and download everything I do for them. When I finish the work, "submitting" it and requesting payment is just a formality. Because they already have all the files.

This practice generates trust. The clients are happy to release payment as agreed, and they become repeat customers.

Should all Upwork freelancers work this way with fixed-price contracts? Maybe not.

But for the kind of work we do... keep in mind that these clients are hiring us because they don't know how to do this kind of work, or because they don't want to do this work themselves. So they rely on us to do the work and support them in maintaining it or using it. They're not trying to trick us into handing over source code files so that they can reverse payments and run away with both our work and our payment.

dankov
8 of 8

Thanks to all very much!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS