🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Setting up jobs with multiple milestones for ...
Page options
springkick
Community Member

Setting up jobs with multiple milestones for smaller projects

Hi all.

A client I create design work for on Upwork is a design agency with many clients of their own. They would like to be able to see all the work I do for each of their clients, so they can see a report of the client and how much they have spent on each client.

I have suggested that they create a job for each client and keep that job open continuously and then when a project for each client comes about, they can add it as a milestone, I can work on that milestone, close it and then the job is still open. Is this the best way to do it? I guess they would need a milestone always open which could be $5. If so, do they create the job first with a $5 milestone and then create a milestone for a project? Or would that not let me work on the new milestone without completing the $5 milestone?

Any help welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dan 

2 REPLIES 2
robin_hyman
Community Member

Dan G wrote:

Hi all.

A client I create design work for on Upwork is a design agency with many clients of their own. They would like to be able to see all the work I do for each of their clients, so they can see a report of the client and how much they have spent on each client.

I have suggested that they create a job for each client and keep that job open continuously and then when a project for each client comes about, they can add it as a milestone, I can work on that milestone, close it and then the job is still open. Is this the best way to do it? I guess they would need a milestone always open which could be $5. If so, do they create the job first with a $5 milestone and then create a milestone for a project? Or would that not let me work on the new milestone without completing the $5 milestone?

Any help welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dan 

Dan,

Why would it be only $5 for each milestone?  Do you have a rate card for your design projects?  Your client would not need to post a new job but could create (1) contract and assign you milestones accordingly?

For example:

Contract:  Miscellaneous design projects for Dan

* Milestone 1: First round client "x" = $20

* Milestone 2: Second round client "x" = $10

* Milestone 3: Final round client "x" = $10

* Milestone 4: First round client "y" = $20

If you have projects from this clients offered at the same time, then creating individual contracts (again not jobs) for each project would work.  

That's how I would handle...  

petra_r
Community Member

Dan G wrote:

That is potential account suicide. If you end up having a bunch of open contracts with the same client and you fall out with that client and a whole bunch of bad feedback, you're done.

If any of those clients don't need you for a couple of - 3 months the contracts close without payment (bad for JSS)

It is not possible to set up a milestone without the previous one being approved. Of course the client could open all those many contracts and PAY you something on all of them and then set up milestones as and when there is work, but that costs money and still leaves you open to profile suicide if you fall out with the client.

Robin H wrote:

Why would it be only $5 for each milestone? 

Not for each milestone, for each client-contract, as a way to open a contract per client because $ 5 is the minimum that must be funded to create a contract.

His idea is that a contract per client is opened, left sitting there and milestones created whenever those clients have work for him.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members