» Forums » Freelancers » Setup my Tax with Upwork
Page options
Community Member

Setup my Tax with Upwork

Dear all,

would you please help me how I can setup my tax with Upwork while I am located in Australia, and I need to ensure the amount that I get in my account is the final and there is no legal obligation on me.





Hi Hisham,


I checked your account and can see that you haven't provided your tax information yet. If you are not a U.S. person, you'll need to complete the W-8BEN form. All non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person and are performing services outside of the United States.


  • Please make sure you fill out your Tax Residence card along with filing a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E under Settings > Tax Information > Tax Residence.
  • If you completed a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E prior to December 2022, you will need to complete a new Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E

Australian law applies the Goods and Services Tax (GST) to international sales of services and digital products provided to Australian consumers. This change means that non-Australian businesses (like Upwork) are required to collect GST on these sales effective July 1, 2017. You may want to read more about this here. If you need further information about your tax obligations, consulting with your local advisor to guide you accordingly would be best.

~ Joanne
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members