🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Shady Client
Page options
1f0f840a
Community Member

Shady Client

I had an issue with a client who would not provide the logins for his platform but wanted me to build a course. He asked me to create a plan in documents in a Dropbox and then refused to pay me because the course wasn't complete. I couldn't complete it because he wouldn't give me the login to complete it. I disputed it. We didn't resolve anything. I told him that my work was not available to him because I was not paid and offered a partial payment which he declined. He had invited me to his Asana and forgot to remove me and I can see him sharing my work. I reminded him that it wasn't his to use as my request for payment was declined and he canceled the contract. He's still using my work. What can I do?

6 REPLIES 6
rekasesh
Community Member

Take screenshots of the Asana conversations before he revokeds access. 

Find the client info from Asana if you can and tell them about their unethical assistant.

Use the proofs to file a formal dispute on Upwork, and go for arbitration if required as the course is probably worth more than the arbitration money.

You can try and contact the LMS website and see whether they can do something to ensure the course doesn't get uploaded until the client pays you.

As Liter LMS can be used as a plugin ( I remember the old forum post), I don't know if they can help, but there is no harm in trying.

If all this fails, upload it to a course site under your name. You own the rights to the work.

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

If he has not paid, your work belongs to you and he cannot utilise it. Report him to Upwork.

1f0f840a
Community Member

Thank you for your responses. I have since been removed from the Asana account but not before I took screenshots and sent them to Upwork who immediately responded. This guy called me impulsive and impatient and blamed this all on me while continuing to share my work. He also refused payment and closed the contract. I have stuck to the script reminding him that my work is mine until it's paid for and have not responded to his accusations. The upwork agent referred to that conversation. I was impressed with how quickly she responded. 

lysis10
Community Member

Whenever you can't 100% identify everything necessary to complete, always go hourly. 

1f0f840a
Community Member

Thank you! Great advice. 

1f0f840a
Community Member

Although I got a response from Upwork right away, I'm now getting emails regarding the initial dispute. Since that was closed, they keep emailing me to say that the dispute is resolved. I can't seem to make them understand that this is a separate issue. It appears to be bots returning my emails. Does anyone know how to reach an actual person? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members