Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Information

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
Kambria D Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
1 of 6
I truly hope I don't post too often on here any annoy everyone. My questions is about clients requesting personal emails.

I've read some forums from searches that says it's okay so I gave it (it has specific "date" type numbers in it). Then I got a reply back asking if it was my birthday because it's theirs. It seems like phishing kind of but I don't know. I just replied saying no, but I am just curious if this is a problem here I guess.

(If you've seen previous posts of mine, this is the client I no longer want to work with).
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 6

If you're not sure, just lie. I've given bogus info in cases like this. If he's legit it's not like he'll remember or care. 

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
Kambria D Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
3 of 6
That sounds like a good idea. They just want the email for their records but don't actually plan on using it. I just know how easy it is to find out basically everything about someone with just a name and birthday.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 6

yeah give them a throwaway. Nobody will ask you for an email for their records. I don't think this sounds legit.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Kambria,

Never send copies of your ID's or share your SSN, bank account details, email and account login information, or any other sensitive personal information with other users. We also advise exercising caution and being conservative in sharing private details with other users. 

In case you come across a similar case which turns out to include a request that violates Upwork ToS, please report it so we can review and take action.

Untitled
konservasi
Ace Contributor
Handy R Member Since: Jul 14, 2017
6 of 6

A lot of question is good,dont mention that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS