🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Sharing personal email
Page options
markoackovski
Community Member

Sharing personal email

Hi everyone 🙂

Just a quick question. 

Is sharing a personal email with a client allowed by Upwork rules ? As in is it strictly forbidden ?

This is not a "is it a scam" question, it's a client I've already worked with I just want to know the official rule on Upwork cause I vaguely remember there being a rule that forbids sharing Skype and such. 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Marko

4 REPLIES 4
markoackovski
Community Member

I just got the answer from the Community Bot, the answer is yes. 

Pretty helpful for a bot 😄 Pretty straight forward. Didn't expect it to be so good actually. 

Mods can close this thread. 

Marko A wrote:

Is sharing a personal email with a client allowed by Upwork rules

I just got the answer from the Community Bot, the answer is yes. 

The answer is actually "NO - it is NOT allowed unless and until there is a contract in place"

or "YES, once a contract is in place"

Once you are hired, you may share contact details. Until then, you must not.

Edited to add: Upwork, Data needs training

Data needs training.png

rverang
Community Member

Marko A wrote:

it's a client I've already worked with

If the above is true, the answer is yes, otherwise, what Petra said.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marko, thanks for the question.

To clarify, if you worked with and had a contract on Upwork with the client in question you're free to share your email address with them. As long as you keep working and processing payments via the platform you're free to communicate directly. That said, we do advise keeping communication on Upwork even in the case of discussing a new contract with an existing Upwork client with whom you've worked before on the platform. We can better track, verify and help address any issues that might arise later if the communication, especially about contract terms, is available or at least reflected and confirmed by the other party in Messages.

Regarding the response Data provided, it applies to the specific scenario I mentioned above. We'll make sure to help Data provide a more extensive response, in which the scenario with communicating with a prospective client/freelancer, with whom a user hadn't had a contract before on Upwork, will also be addressed, as well as the allowed exceptions.

Thanks for sharing your feedback Marko, Petra and Renante! 💚

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths