Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing website url

Highlighted
Md Akhtar H Member Since: May 28, 2015
1 of 31

Hi,

I'm a new freelancer. After reading the policies regarding sharing contact information, I still have the following questions. 

1. Can I write "I'm the founder of **edited for Community Guidelines**" in my profile overview?

2. Can I write "I'm the founder of **edited for Community Guidelines**" in a cover letter?

3. Can I share my Skype ID if a client asks?

My blog **edited for Community Guidelines** can be a great demonstration of my writing skills. So I want to tell the clients about my blog, but I don't know whether this is a violation of Upwork policies. Please help.

Thanks.
- Akhtar

Ace Contributor
sathyashrayan N Member Since: May 26, 2015
2 of 31

I think its a violation of policy. But then you could share your social network links in the profile sections such as github, stack exchange. So everything has got the ways to contact you outside the upwork. But remember that your work will be be taken into account if the client does not pay you. The tool that takes snapshot of your hourly work does not work here. You might end up with a client gets disappear from any communications. May be experts here might help you more.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 31

Hi Akhtar,

Since your website has a direct contact form, it is not allowed to share it in your profile overview. You can share it in your cover letter thought. It is also alright to share your Skype ID with your client if necessary.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 31
Valeria,

Could you please confirm that contact details (or the means to them) can be shared in a cover letter, which I have heard or seen described as the equivalent of the Elance proposal (in which such details are forbidden)?.

Thanks and best,
Michael
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
5 of 31

HI Douglas,

Valeria is correct contact details can be shared on your cover letter, but not on your profile. You can find more information on cover letters in the help article here: 

This is an excerpt on what to include in your cover letter:

“ Let the client know when they can contact you, your time zone, and what venues the clients can use to talk to you (such as chat, phone, or email), should they want to move on to the invitation to interview."

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 31

Wow, I have a list of rules I copied off  a support page on Upwork (then Odesk) that said contact information could not be in a cover letter. Of course, this was in 2010.

Contact being:

My own website (contact form or not, becuase email contact link or SOMETHING would be there someplace)

My email address

My Phone #

I've probably missed out on a few jobs that I might have won, by not including my site URL or something.

Having said this, with all the scammy clients etc, I would give all new (or not new) freelancers this bit of advice.

• If you feel you MUST include a contact email address in your cover letter, make sure it's one that you can dump if a scammy client gets ahold of it.
  • Better then #1, IF you have a website (or a landing page), use a contact form. The client won't see your email address, but they can still contact you.
  • Wait until your hired to give out your phone #, Skype ID etc. Unless of course, the client wants to interview you on Skype, which is common, at least with certain kinds of jobs.

Also if your one of those wondering if you MUST give out any of those items to a client, the answer is no. Sometime jobs will require Skype and Email, but if you don't want to give someone that data, don't do those jobs. The Upwork Messege Center is there for a reason, after all, and some freelancers here use it exclusively.

Md Akhtar H Member Since: May 28, 2015
7 of 31

Thanks, Pandora. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 31
Thanks, Valeria and Lena!

Best,
Michael
Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
9 of 31

Hi Lena,

I saw somewhere in this post, we can add website screen shot to our portfolio slots! Correct?

hence with screenshot at portfolio, can I paste my link of website? until now I do not paste a link because somehow it is again direct contact info on profile!

please suggest!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 31

Hi Gajendra,

You can use screenshots of a website in your portfolio. I would suggest you refrain from posting links to websites that contain contact forms or information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS