Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheer wastage of Connects

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
11 of 47

"You seem to be getting ample work"

Yes. That's because I select the jobs I bid on very carefully.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
12 of 47

In defense of Tabinda connects are pure rubbish.

My connects are tied up by Clients who do not hire anyone or interview only.

I have "Ample work" but grow frustrated with Connects.

My Submited Client proposals breakdown.

25 - Proposals stunk in Limbo

12 Where Client interviewed and did noth hire to date.

11 Clients who have not hired or interviewed.

2 Clients who hired somebody.

I also have 3 Active Candidacies that are going nowhere.

What good does LOCKING UP MY CONNECTS for over 2 weeks do?

Cat LOL

Community Guru
13 of 47

"What good does LOCKING UP MY CONNECTS for over 2 weeks do?"

Connects don't get "locked up". They get spent. Except in rare circumstances they're disposable items. The whole point of them is to limit the number of bids you can put in; otherwise you get the same mess as the old bid quota system created. If 60 connects isn't enough you need to refine how you choose jobs to bid on.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
14 of 47

Tabinda. I'm one of those people with tons of hours that can't see your side.

Well me And my 9 hours this week agree with the senior upworkers. A connect is the cost to put a proposal in and not to be squandered on any job that looks promising. So just use them on jobs where you really think you've got a chance. I used mine up thinking the beginning of the month I'd get 60 more. Oops. Wrong. I couldn't apply to jobs for a few days into the month. No biggie. I just scoured the  ads and worked my hours ,got into the forum, learned some things and then started over. 

I'm thankful I don't have to pay for connects.

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
15 of 47

It seems to me that Upwork's Connect pool is something that works very well.  If you aren't getting a response to your proposals within the allocated connect pool, then something else may be wrong:

• Your profile may have issues.  How many portfolio items have you listed?  Test results?  Is it well focused?
  • You may need to write better proposals.  e.g. I spend at least twenty minutes on even the lightest proposal.
  • Your timing could be off.  You need to respond quickly when jobs are listed. 

I hope that's helpful!

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
16 of 47

Or it could be that there were many others with similar qualifications and who they chose was just the lucky applicant.

Or it could be that the client felt the freelancer wasn't a good fit. 

It's like in the real world. Just cuz you send in a resume doesn't mean you have the job.

Community Guru
17 of 47

I once flew from Germany to the UK for an interview. It cost me a full day's airport parking, a return plane ticket, a hire car and €50 in fuel. I didn't get the job. That's just the way it goes.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 47

I know that people have experienced connects in different ways...

But for the record, the last time I posted a job listing, which was a writing job, I received only 3 applications. Everybody who applied was very qualified. I sent job offers to all three of them.

(This was during the past couple weeks.)

Two of the job applicants completed the assignment a week and I was very happy with the results.

One of the applicants didn't respond after I sent a job offer, and I eventually withdrew the offer once I had completed work from the other two.

As a client, I thought this was a very good experience.

I can't say for certain that connects are what helped eliminate spam job applications, but I have to assume that had something to do with it.

In the past, when I posted jobs for writers I had many, many applications, most of which were worthless. I ended up cancelling some writing jobs in the past because nobody qualified applied. That was BEFORE connects.

Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
19 of 47

I disagree with many 'improvements' that Upwork has brought in, but I do agree to the principle of Connects.

They do limit the amount of 'spam' applications, but I can also empathise with some people who feel limited by them.

There are so many jobs advertised that are offering $5 per job, that even if you were hired for every application you made, you would still be earning only $135 per month (after Upwork fees).

It is all very well to say be selective, but for some people that is not possible - the better-paying jobs aren't available to many people due to restrictions placed by some clients.

They are only my thoughts, what the solution is I don't know

Community Guru
20 of 47

"There are so many jobs advertised that are offering $5 per job,"

Yes. That's because there are freelancers daft enough to bid on them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS