cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheer wastage of Connects

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
31 of 47

"Where in Hades do i wait for "Hey man i dont have to decide if i want to hire anybody? Just checking it out Bro."

Really?"

Yes, really. If you walk into a shop you're not obliged to buy anything. You might buy something. Then again you might buy it in another shop, find a used one on ebay or spend the money on beer instead. Someone can post a job here but end up hiring a freelancer from Elance, giving the job to a bloke they met in the pub or deciding the world doesn't actually need another $25 eBook on paleo diet tips. It's up to them. All your connect entitles you to do is send a proposal.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
32 of 47

@Tabinda - I'm not trying to be a smart guy or anything but you did come here for advice, didn't you? Rather than post the amount of posts you have posted perhaps you should spend your time looking over your proposals and portfolio and see if you can improve them to get more business. That's what I do when I seem to be in a slump. Sometimes no one is buying anything but sometimes you can find a way to improve things and then you will start selling your talents.

Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
33 of 47

This is not a shop. I am not a consumer at Upwork.

I am looking for a job. A freelance job.

Clients post on Upwork looking to hire.

Some cant follow thru. That is fine. Move on.

Just dont kidnap my connects i paid for on fools who want to shop around.

If you want to play Community Cheerleader Fergus click on this link.

www.upwork.com/about/

Its all about missions and visons corporations value so much.

Not sure i see your Analogy in the About us mission statement?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
34 of 47

I think it would be better to look at Upwork as a warehouse of leads. You have leads, and you need to sell them your services. You pay $2/lead. That's actually pretty cheap. And, it pushes out people who just post junk proposals and waste a customer's time and frustrates them with the junk stuff.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
35 of 47

"If you want to play Community Cheerleader Fergus"

I don't think many people would describe me as a "community cheerleader" for Upwork. I was perfectly happy on Elance.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
36 of 47

Stephen,

I believe Customer service has given you the wrong impression of when the connects will be returned to you.

Garnor Wrote:

If a job is cancelled without hiring (by the client or oDesk), the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse. At this time we do not have plans to return Connects simply because a client doesn't hire. We'll keep an eye on this, but it is not part of our plans at this time.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Connects-and-Memberships-Live/td-p/72270/page/3
@Valeria wrote:

If the job was closed by the client or by the oDesk Team the connects you used to apply for that job will be returned to you. Note that it might take a bit of time for your connects to refresh.

Valeria

Garnor Posted:

Thanks for the notice. We will remove jobs that violate our policy (and you'll get your Connects back in these instances), so if you're coming across any jobs of this sort, please do report them and we will get on it. 

Also, if the client cancels the job post without hiring, we will return those Connects as well. 

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Fake-job-alert/m-p/74013#U74013

And the Forum was update with info on connects and memberships.

3. Why don’t you force clients to hire? Shouldn’t you return Connects for these “dead” jobs?

Some clients may not close their job post because they’ve already hired elsewhere, their project/hiring needs have changed, or because they’re coming back at some point to make a hire. We do not expect to change the way job postings are managed and won’t force them to close if they don’t hire.

**We do not plan to return Connects should a client post a job without hiring. At this point, we only plan to return Connects when oDesk removes a job for violation of policy or other reasons. Should this change, we will inform the Community.

(**Update March 10, 2015 -If a job is cancelled without hiring (by the client or oDesk), the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse. Returned Connects are subject to the usual rollover restrictions, maximums, and billing cycle timing.)

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Memberships-and-Connects-Community-FAQs/m-p/65085#M412...

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
37 of 47

I understand where Stephen is coming from and it would actually be nice if dead "proposals" would equal free connects.

Writers have it hard here as we are swamped often with cheap clients who think "expert" level articles are worth not more than $10 per 1000 words and as Fergus mentioned, many writers here sell themselves too short.

It's frustrating which is why I have a tendency to "hoard" my jobs as I'm not sure if any of my clients are repeat-clients. I've worked with a few for more than 6 months but most I get are one-month wonders or "one-week then forget until job gets paused" clients.

As far as Tabinda's concerns, I actually LIKE this connects system. It made quality writers stand out more. Plus, it taught me to be cautious and wary of scammers. I used to just look at the description and price offered but now I'm a lot more meticulous with my clients and so far it's paid off much more than before.

Before connects, I was one of those who shotgun applications every **bleep** day simply because it was my first time to freelance full-time. I got lucky with 3-5 clients but the number of ignored applications meant I was wasting a lot of time applying than working. 

Community Guru
38 of 47

Thank you Jen and Suzanne,

Yes Jen, Upwork is a job warehouse that can lead to substantial employment.

I have many long term work relationships due to upwork.

Suzanne what you posted scared me.

When I read this I was petrified.

"Some clients may not close their job post because they’ve already hired elsewhere, their project/hiring needs have changed, or because they’re coming back at some point to make a hire. We do not expect to change the way job postings are managed and won’t force them to close if they don’t hire."

Reminds me of Gannett who i worked for for 15 years. Its all about the stock holders and screw the people who do the work. 

I guess this is the new policy?

(**Update March 10, 2015 -If a job is cancelled without hiring (by the client or oDesk), the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse. Returned Connects are subject to the usual rollover restrictions, maximums, and billing cycle timing.)

This would make more sense. This is what i was told. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
39 of 47

@Stephen R wrote:

Thank you Jen and Suzanne,

Yes Jen, Upwork is a job warehouse that can lead to substantial employment.

I have many long term work relationships due to upwork.

Suzanne what you posted scared me.

When I read this I was petrified.

"Some clients may not close their job post because they’ve already hired elsewhere, their project/hiring needs have changed, or because they’re coming back at some point to make a hire. We do not expect to change the way job postings are managed and won’t force them to close if they don’t hire."

Reminds me of Gannett who i worked for for 15 years. Its all about the stock holders and screw the people who do the work. 

I guess this is the new policy?

This would make more sense. This is what i was told. 

This is what you posted:

"Please note that job post closes after 30 days if client did not hire or update it. Once job post closes, your connects will be credited back to you."  -Upwork

The above does not reflect the word "If" except for the comment does not hire or update it. The above also leaves out if the client checks in they can have a job open for several months, years without a hire. Do a search with some jobs that have been open for months with no hires, because the client checked in does not mean if he leaves the job open. The above states if it is cancelled by Upwork or client but does not mean it is closed automatically at 30 days. 

I would like a mod to clarify as in another thread I could not find it we were told that jobs would not be closed because they did not hire. Notice 2 jobs below one is 9 months old the other 6 months.

Capture.JPG

Community Guru
40 of 47

I would like a mod to clarify as in another thread I could not find it we were told that jobs would not be closed because they did not hire. Notice 2 jobs below one is 9 months old the other 6 months.

Connects have only been around since April? How do jobs not get closed for 6 to 9 months?

You can just close it. 

I guess i will have to ask help desk in more detail about time duration and why they would close the job after

no interviews or hiring after 1 month.

If i close job proposal i know i lose the connects.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS